Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I going to hell for being gay?

Options
  • 26-06-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi! I am a young guy and I am starting to accept that I'm gay. If I'm being honest I don't believe in god. I uset to up until about the age of 15 but I gave up. I was a really good guy I uset go to mass and respect everybody and I got nothing in return for it. I know I'm gay and I uset think that I was made gay but I finally know it was the way I was born. So how is it my fault that I'm gay? Am i GOING TO HELL FOR IT?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 scars22

cooltown wrote: »
    Hi! I am a young guy and I am starting to accept that I'm gay. If I'm being honest I don't believe in god. I uset to up until about the age of 15 but I gave up. I was a really good guy I uset go to mass and respect everybody and I got nothing in return for it. I know I'm gay and I uset think that I was made gay but I finally know it was the way I was born. So how is it my fault that I'm gay? Am i GOING TO HELL FOR IT?
    Thanks!

You are NOT going to HELL. You cannot help that you are gay the same as a straight person cannot help they are straight. It's in your genes, pre decided. 'IF' and its a big 'IF' there is a God he would love you unconditionally and if he made us he should know that we can't help who we love/fancy/want. You can still go to church have faith and be gay. I am sure you are a lovely guy who respects people. Demand that respect back and demand to be accepted for who you are. As soon as you do you will feel so happy and relieved. You should meet other gay people so you can have someone who understands what youa re going through. You are most DEFO NOT going to hell!! It doesn't exist and even if it did you wouldn't go there!! xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

Why are you thinking being gay is a burden?as regards to going to mass and treating people with respect and being a good guy,don't do it to expect to get something in return, (though i do feel good things happen to good people) though it is a good feeling when you make an effort to be the best person you can be!I find it rewarding for myself when I know try to be a good person.

You were naturally born gay so how can it be wrong or bad?maybe your just getting to know yourself and your starting to question these things which is normal.enjoy your life and be proud of who you are and be the best as you can be.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

First, going to mass doesn't make you a good guy (any more than standing in your garage makes you a mechanic!)

I stopped going to mass because I just didn't relate to anything the priests said.. on occasion I just got really wound up by the way they talk down to people.

The church's official line.. homosexuality is seen as a cross to bear for many people. Gay men have a place in the church. They just need to pray to God that they can overcome this affliction and be strong enough not to have relationships with men.

On the face of it, it sounds like a progressive attitude of the church (rather than condemning gays to fire and brimstone). But they're basically asking you to lock yourself up and feel really unhappy. This thinking is such a negative lifestyle choice.

Just remember the man up on the alter has not been in your shoes. It's easy for him to make rules and dictate ways to live.. then you consider all the perverts who were drawn to the church and its secrecy and silence. If they lived by their own rules the church wouldn't be filled with hundreds of child molesters, closet gays, alcoholics, adulterers and all the priests, bishops and cardinals who refuse to co-operate with the authorities. Unlike a lot of priests, you're not actually harming anyone.. you're just trying to get on with your own life!

You said you used to respect everyone and I think that's enough to make you a good person. Try respecting yourself a bit more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

no man your not the same desert tribes who claimed that gays go to hell also claimed you go to hell for eating shelfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Where did you come up with such a proposterous idea OP. Being gay is not an affliction or a punishment. It's just the way you are, doesn't make you a better or worse human being. It's who you are. If you need some help and support while in the process of coming out to people you should have a look at this forum for some helpful advice etc http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=255

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

op mass doesnt make people good if so what mass there are plenty the point most have in common is they like to condemn each other and just about everything else, according to the church blacks, jews, people who like sex are also going to hell dont sweat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Morphie

scars22 wrote: »
    'IF' and its a big 'IF' there is a God he would love you unconditionally and if he made us he should know that we can't help who we love/fancy/want.

I don't understand it when people talk like this.

If there was a god, which I don't believe, who's to say this being would love any of us? Why is it automatically assumed when we refer to a creator that "it" loves us? Why can't it have created us and just left us to it, feeling indifferent to the suffering that goes on in Africa, etc?

It's as odd as believing in a deity to begin with.

----

OP, you're not going to go to hell. Being homosexual is a naturally occurring thing. You can't help how you feel as much as I can't help the fact I'm heterosexual. And the fact I don't believe in a "hell". You're safe, continue to enjoy your life and remove ideas like you have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭AnonMous

Hey Op,

Just a quick reply for you! Believe me, you're not going to hell...if it even exists. If hell exists, the only people going there are the child molesting priests and clergy men that condone homosexuality!

So, fcuk that, go out and embrace your sexuality, have fun and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭s.a.man

I use to feel the same, because I was brought up in a very religious family and some of my family still find it hard to accept me the way I am and I use to feel if my family dont accept me and love me the way I am than how can God love me, so I felt I was causing the worst sin ever, so I thought that I will probably be going to hell.

I am not gonna drown you with too much from my side, but all I have to say is, why do you feel that way? We only have one chance on earth and make the best of it, why worry about after death? I find it hard that God will send you to hell just for being gay! No way!!

Also if you dont believe in God, you obviously dont believe in the devil so why do you worry about hell? Lol

Take care:)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Jesus died for ALL of us, not for some of us and by virtue of that Good Friday agreement, we are saved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ravima wrote: »
    Jesus died for ALL of us, not for some of us and by virtue of that Good Friday agreement, we are saved.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey OP,

If you don't believe in god then no, regardless of the bizarre obsession some religious types have with what other people do in their own bed, unless you believe in the particular religious doctrines or dogmas that discriminate against homosexuals, it's not something you deserve to be punished for.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Am i GOING TO HELL FOR IT?

No.
    I was a really good guy I uset go to mass and respect everybody and I got nothing in return for it.

As a matter of interest what did you expect to get in return for it?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with being gay, and nothing wrong with not being religious. You're not going to hell for it, it's just the way you are.

My mum's Christian, and what she always says is "The most important thing Jesus said is to love one another. He wasn't excluding the gays when he said that". :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    The church's official line.. homosexuality is seen as a cross to bear for many people. Gay men have a place in the church. They just need to pray to God that they can overcome this affliction and be strong enough not to have relationships with men.

On the face of it, it sounds like a progressive attitude of the church (rather than condemning gays to fire and brimstone). But they're basically asking you to lock yourself up and feel really unhappy. This thinking is such a negative lifestyle choice.

It depends which church. The Anglican church's official position is that being gay is part of God's plan and if you are gay it's the way God intended you to be so you should accept that and have a nice life. They officiate gay marriages, which are legal in the UK and have openly gay vicars (male and female) and at least one openly gay bishop.

Of course they weren't always like this. In the past being gay and sodomy were considered heinous sins, but they moved on. And in time the Catholic church will move on too, in fact it's current official position is not the same as it has always been. The church is man made and it will only survive as long as people continue to go. As public opinion changes so does official church doctrine. Ultimately the church, any church, is just what some people believe. It doesn't really have much to do with what God, if one exists, thinks and wants.

I believe without doubt that there is no hell but that which we ourselves make. So OP, yes you could go to hell. If you doubt yourself and hate yourself and what you are. If you never truly accept your feelings. If you allow fear to dominate your life. If you stop yourself from finding love and lust and sexual fun and satisfaction out of fear then you will certainly be living in a type of hell. But if you embrace what you are and accept it and live your life to the best you can, then no, you won't go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

According to the most popular religions, (even islam) being gay isn't a sin, but homosexual acts are.

To be honest though, you should be a lot more worried about safe sex than a place that has a virtually zero chance of existing

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

There's a documentary called 'For the Bible Tells Us So'. It's made from a religious point of view, and the interviews are with various clergy and religious families with gay children. It basically goes through every reference to homosexuality in the bible and explains why they're all misunderstood and taken out of context. Anyone who believes the bible actually says it's wrong should watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

scars22 wrote: »
    You cannot help that you are gay the same as a straight person cannot help they are straight. It's in your genes, pre decided.

Evidence for this please?? This is a very contentious point, so I don't think it's as simple as just claiming it's genetic because you would like to think that it is (Nor, by the way, is it as simple as dismissing a genetic cause just because that makes some people uncomfortable as well).

As for whether you are going to hell or not, well only you can answer that, as it comes down to your conscience at the end of the day. That DOESN'T mean that anything is ok just because you want to do it be, it's a bit more complex than all of that.

And as for whether hell exists or not, well that is also a rather complex question which I doubt many of the people who happily wish it away on these boards have studied in much depth.

OP: Genuinely I wish you well, both in this life and in the after-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

If you don't believe in God then I can't see how you are worried about going to hell. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Benincasa wrote: »
    And as for whether hell exists or not, well that is also a rather complex question which I doubt many of the people who happily wish it away on these boards have studied in much depth.

How is it complex? You either believe in a god and a hell or you don't. I know there is no hell in the same way I know there is no god, I don't need to study anything in depth to know something that I've felt in the pit of my gut since I was 4. Faith is just that, faith in something without needing any proof. There are plenty of people who have faith there is a god and a hell without needing to "study" it in any depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

AnonMous wrote: »
    If hell exists, the only people going there are...clergy men that condone homosexuality!

Um...

Thanks!

It's the biggest load of waffle imaginable. You are an atheist, therefore you don't believe in hell. You are also gay! Accept it, embrace it, and don't listen to mentally deficient lunatics who think you're going to be tortured for all eternity by their "loving and forgiving" god.
    Anyone who believes the bible actually says it's wrong should watch it.

"No man is to have sexual relations with another man. God hates that." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man has sexual relations with another man, they have done a disgusting thing, and both shall be put to death." Leviticus 20:13

I'm quoting from my Bible here. The fact is, if someone believes in the Bible, they are required to be a homophobic bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You're going through hell for being gay if you think that there is some punishment for being yourself.

Please dismiss anything you hear being peddled by the organised religions in regards to mythical lands of clouds/fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

As a Christian and Catholic I can tell you will not go to Hell for being Gay or for sodomy either. I beleive we all are created for a purpose on this earth and so long as you live a good life and don't do something major like kill someone without a good reason then you will be fine. The bible teaches us that Jesus loves all his people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The fact is, if someone believes in the Bible, they are required to be a homophobic bigot.

Completely untrue. Christians are not 'required' to be a lot of things taken from the Old Testament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well for hundreds of years one Church stated there was a limbo and then in the last ten years or so we were told it didn't exist :confused:
    So rules change, go talk to your parish priest and they may refer to you somebody else for more informartion.
    Your parish priest is accesiable and there to serve your parish so make an appointment and ask some questions
    I'm assuming you are a Catholic, you haven't stated but same applies to which ever priest is for your parish

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thanks!

Well, I'm an atheist, so for me hell (or god) does not exist. No scientific proof of it and I class gods in the same way I do the tooth fairy and Santa.

However, if you do wish to believe that there is a god out there, why would he make you gay and then pack you off to hell?
    What kind of a loving god would do that?

Think it through logically cooltown, you should come to the conclusion that just like the rest of us, you are special in your own unique way. How boring the human race would be if we were all the exact same.
    Be proud of who you are.
    Once you live a good and happy life, nothing more is expected from you.

Perhaps reading the following forums might help you form some opinions that you are comfortable with.

LGB&T

A&A

R&S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

@OP

Can anyone answer that question for you ? Because beliefs are personal, and there is no one consensus in the Christian world.

Being yourself may mean accepting you have feelings , and those feelings in themselves are not inherently sinful, instead it is the acting out of your desires.

In the vast majority of Christian doctrine that the act of ‘fornication’ is considered a sin. Thus if you engage in a physical relationship with a person of the same sex, this is generally accepted to be a sin. It is worth mentioning that habing a relationship outside of marriage would also fall under this category, as would adultery etc.

And the low rate of marriage would indicate a lot of irish people don’t particularly worry about premarital sex!!

It seems a lot of Christian’s, are of the a la carte variety, where they can pick or choose which parts you like.

I just think no one can answer this for you, its for your own conscience.

Advertisement