Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone apps from different countries

Options
  • 25-06-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

ok so i know how to set up a US iTunes Account using an American gift card, but im wondering will this work on my phone along side my Irish Account??

if i get the SU app onto my laptop and then sync across to my iphone, it will be the US account that is currently active on the phone. will this limit me to apps purchased via my US account? or will both my US and Irish apps work on my phone regardless what account was synced last??

i know thats about as clear as mud!

any ideas

thanks
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

big_moe wrote: »
    ok so i know how to set up a US iTunes Account using an American gift card, but im wondering will this work on my phone along side my Irish Account??

if i get the SU app onto my laptop and then sync across to my iphone, it will be the US account that is currently active on the phone. will this limit me to apps purchased via my US account? or will both my US and Irish apps work on my phone regardless what account was synced last??

any ideas

thanks
    adam

As far as I know your Apple Account is a global account. Should work either side of the Atlantic. The only thing that may affect is territory limits. i.e. Album / App releases only allowed in America. And vice-versa.

Edit: Just re-read that. Do you have two seperate accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

at the moment i have an irish account with my irish billing info. when you sync an iphone with a computer, it transfers the itunes account info that is currently active on the computer. there are a few apps that are only on the us app store that i want. if i set up a new account with a US itunes gift card as payment method, i can download them apps. when i then sync those apps to my iphone (which has loads of irish bought apps) will it "disable" those apps? and vice-versa, will my US bought apps work when the phone is synced with my irish account?

i would rather not spending the $20 on an itunes gift card to only find out this wont work, but i may have to be the guinea pig cos i cant find any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

big_moe wrote: »

any ideas

thanks
    adam

Absolutely not, you will only be able to sync purchases from one or the other account on a stock iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

There is no problems with using a mix of apps from different stores on your iPhone. And no, no jailbreaking or anything special needs to be done.

The only slightly annoying thing that happens is when an app needs updating. The phone knows which store the app came from and will ask for your password for 'the other' store when you choose to upgrade the application in question. Then it'll say this account is only valid for the US store and quits. You then need to start the app store again (at which point it'll load into the US store) and re-select to upgrade the application. Then you can simply switch back to your normal Irish account.

I have several apps from the US store on mine, including iMovie, and have been doing this for a year or so now with absolutely no problems. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

excellent, imovie app is the one i want!

• Advertisement
Advertisement