Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with name pronunciation...

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,
    I have a strange question...

I'm on a search to find the correct pronunciation of my husband's family surname. His ancestors came to America over a century ago, most likely during the Great Famine. I'm hoping someone in this lovely forum can help me with the pronunciation.

The family's name is Doran. Half of his extended family pronounces it as: Dor-ANN, very much like someone would pronounce "Duran". The other half of the family pronounces it as: DOOR-en, which puts the accent on the other syllable.

I'm sorry to ask such a strange question on this forum, but I'm curious as to how the name would be pronounced in Ireland, especially in the area from which his family is said to hail -- County Cork.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

P.S. I've enjoyed reading the posts on here. Fun forum!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I would imagine it's Dor-ANN. I don't think I've ever heard Door-EEN as a second name, just a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Assuming the Door - ANN the ANN part is said like the first name Ann or Anne, and I don't think you mean doreen as in the girls first name am I right? One e and not 2?
    Then I would go with DOOR-en, the other one would never be used in Ireland, its very "American!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Assuming the Door - ANN the ANN part is said like the first name Ann or Anne, and I don't think you mean doreen as in the girls first name am I right? One e and not 2?
    Then I would go with DOOR-en, the other one would never be used in Ireland, its very "American!" :rolleyes:

Was thinking the same pretty much. I think its a "soft" a {dont know if thats how you describe it properly} so the "an" is pronounced more en/in that ann/anne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Purrfect

Correct. I meant "Ann" like in "St. Anne".

Half his family pronounces the name Dor-ANN, with the emphasis on the Ann part.

The other half of the family pronounces it DOR-en or DOR-un, with the emphasis on the first part DOR.

It's always driven me crazy that the family can't agree on the pronunciation. I figured I should go the source and ask someone from Ireland. That's when I decided to ask this forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Purrfect wrote: »
    Correct. I meant "Ann" like in "St. Anne".

Half his family pronounces the name Dor-ANN, with the emphasis on the Ann part.

The other half of the family pronounces it DOR-en or DOR-un, with the emphasis on the first part DOR.

It's always driven me crazy that the family can't agree on the pronunciation. I figured I should go the source and ask someone from Ireland. That's when I decided to ask this forum. :)
    I would go with the Dor-un. I say it with emphasis on the "Door" and a soft "an"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I agree with the above post. I've never known it to be pronounced any other way but "door-an" in Ireland. But it seems to happen quite a lot with Irish names in America, I guess a lot gets lost in translation!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, "DOOR-an" or "DOOR-en" is how it would be pronounced here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

I'd say "Door-in" myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Purrfect

I knew you all would help me. Thank you!
    Your answers are pretty much what I guessed it would sound like in Ireland -- DOR-en.

I hope to make it to Ireland someday! With our economy the way it is, though, an expensive trip will have to wait. :( For now I'll just dream of visiting.

Big hugs all the way from Cincinnati, Ohio for you all!
    Again, thanks :)

Advertisement