Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chlamydia questions

Options
  • 25-06-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this. Both me and my boyfriend have been diagnosed with chlamydia. We've been given Zithromax as treatment. I'm just a bit confused as I have read conflicting information online regarding some things.

Firstly is it ok to drink alcohol? It was only one dose of the tablets we had to take. It says nothing in the pamphlet about alcohol affecting the tablets in any way.

Also is it ok to have sex using a condom as protection while we're being treated? I've read that you shouldn't have sex for 7 days, but other places say it's ok with a condom.

We were not asked to come back in a few weeks to the clinic to get retested. Is this normal? Should we not be retested to make sure the infection is gone?

Hope this is the right place for these questions.

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Best to get back in touch with the clinic or your own GP and ask them.

To be honest I shouldn't be telling my opioion as I am not a doctor and medical advice is not allow here.

But I would avoid acohol and sex for a week and definitely get retested by then to make sure that the treatment worked.

And use protection from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Best to get back in touch with the clinic or your own GP and ask them.

To be honest I shouldn't be telling my opioion as I am not a doctor and medical advice is not allow here.

But I would avoid acohol and sex for a week and definitely get retested by then to make sure that the treatment worked.

And use protection from now on.

Thanks for your advice. Think we will go get retested on a month just to make sure.

I don't agree with your use protection comment though. Surely that's down to an individual's decision whether they want to use condoms or not? No harm using the pill as a form of contraception in a serious relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Like above poster said, no medical advice should be given here. If I were you though I'd be avoiding alcohol for 3 days, avoiding any type of sex if either of you have physical symptoms and I would return for a check up 7 days plus after treatment. No unprotected sex (including oral) until u both have been given the all clear.

If this is a new or relatively new relationship you should both take a full sti screening (if you haven't already done so). You should also discuss the "ground rules" for the relationship in terms of "seeing" other people outside of the relationship. Condoms should be used until these are done and shud really be used until you both know each other better have a standing level of trust with each other.

If not a new relationship, well, I won't comment further or ask the obvious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement