Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In this thread we will name our least favorite critical darling rappers....

Options
  • 25-06-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭

I go first!

I nominate Aesop Rock, my second nomination is Aesop Rock and thirdly but not last is Aesop Rock.:)

Before some eejit runs in calling me some mainstream pupppet, I want to stress its not a backpack thing, Sage can be pretentious and I love him. EL-P, Edan all white backpackers who will get time of the day in my house.

However Aesop's voice is horrid and he is insanely pompous man who raps about nothing.

I actually am friends with lads who love him, and while I always enjoy their company they become tossers when discussing Aesop...

Example

Chum..... What do you think of Aesop Rock....
    Me........ Not a fan he bores me...
    Chum.... voice dripping with pretension ...You only like Drake and mainstream gangster **** then yeah? :mad:

Most Aesop fans belive you are beneath them if you don't like their savior. Sadly manly backpackers follow that logic....

Oh and he is rubbish to listen to.....

So erm random thoughts, what other critically acclaimed rappers do you Boards people dislike?

Oh and
    Aesop Rock is ****ing terrible

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Rjd2 wrote: »

Most Aesop fans belive you are beneath them if you don't like their savior. Sadly manly backpackers follow that logic....

you are soooo beneath me.......just kidding. :D

I am an Aesop Rock fan, love the guy but i can completely understand why he would not be liked. I'll admit that when i first listened to him I could understand what was going on about, but it all clicked for me after a bit. It was a case of listening to his less intense stuff first and then building up. I'll hold my hands up and say that i'm still lost sometimes listening to him but slowly i get there. And there is something that makes me want to keep going back to listen.

But as i said, i can understand where you and many others are coming from.

As for my nomination, need more time to think on that

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Including this?

Think None Shall Pass is a cracking tune but a lot of his stuff i'm not too crazy on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Most definitely Aesop Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Orizio wrote: »
    Most definitely Aesop Rock.

Best. Poster. Ever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Immortal Technique

Gets so much praise but he's a bit sh*t really. Doesn't have great flow and his lyrical content is usually boring conspiracy nonsense. In small doses he's okay and some of his songs are good but I just can't listen to him for prolonged periods of time because it's annoying.

Aesop Rock is alright I guess. Wouldn't listen to him all that much anymore, his flow is so nasally it's hard to listen to him at times and most his songs are about nothing but I do like some of it. No Jumper Cables is a nice track.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Brother Ali.

It's not that I dislike all of his stuff but I find a lot of it annoying. I find a lot of the political/religious stuff really disingenuous and in some tracks his voice just annoys me.

That said, some songs he is crazy nice.

There, I said it, I don't like the white muslim from middle america!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

MF Doom.

He talks absolute utter nonsense, he has a horrible voice, boring monotone delivery, and he just talks over beats - he has no concept of flow.

Yes, its different but who the **** wants to hear a song about vats of urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

I agree about Aesop, I'll never really get it. I like Doom but I get why alot of people don't, some find his voice irritating I find his whole concept intruiging and I really enjoy his voice despite it being slightly monotonic. Hoe Cakes is one of my favourite less intense hip-hop songs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think i'll side with Makaveli on the whole Immortal Technique thing, has a few good songs but starts to grind my gears after a short listening period.

Another name that come to mind are Joe Budden, such a strong voice but gets so boring after a prolonged period.

50 Cent, there I said it, he's muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

Joe Budden is awful "Joey onlyyyy go to er crib on weekends, real, real late when de kidz is sleepin".

50 cent...I don't even want to begin. He's fine, he's fun. He's got some fun commercial songs and some really great meaningful lyrics about "poppin bottlez" and "fckin hoez". He's done well for himself, I wouldn't be calling him a thought provoking poet but yeh he'll take you to the candy shop, or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement