Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plain buddhism

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

Is there many or any people who simply practice a generic or pure form of Buddhism as close to the buddha as possible?

Or has it all been ''corrupted'' into the various forms that vary relatively little?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I think probably if you ask any group, they'll say that the tradition they are following is an authentic way. Of course, they'll have disagreements as to which other traditions are following in the more correct way.

You might have to go back in time and ask the Buddha to be absolutely certain as to which is authentic and which is not. If you did go back though, you probably wouldn't care which tradition was authentic; you'd just want to hear his teachings.

Interestingly, you don't tend to hear members of one tradition strongly accusing another tradition of being deviant and wrong. They seem to broadly accept other traditions as being also buddhist. So maybe in the main, they are genuine.

The various traditions do vary considerably in philosophy and practice. In Tibetan Buddhism, it is said that the Buddha taught 84,000 kinds of teaching to suit the various mental dispositions different people. If it helps you overcome negativity and ego-centeredness then its bringing you towards enlightenment and probably could be considered to be buddhist. One core thing in buddhist traditions is taking refuge in the three jewels: Buddha - the teacher, Dharma - the teaching, Sangha - the community of practitioners (most specifically the community of realized practitioners). One takes refuge from Samsara, the cycle of conditioned existence, and particularly from the conditioned habitual patterns of one's own samsaric mind.

What is generic and pure buddhism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Yes I have noticed they do not criticize different sects as that would essentially be counter to the way of life.

The question is not to choose one particular school or to see which one is more ''authentic'' it is just I find it interesting there is such diversity when it seemed to start from humble and ''simple'' (complex to achieve but core was simple) beginnings.

Well the core beliefs of the Buddha would be it - no?

But then again with so many teachers and centuries of change it would have to change I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

The closest thing I've ever had to a teacher was, and still is in some respects, Ajahn Brahm from Western Aus. I'd been listening to his weekly talks for the past two years or so, but they're not up online anymore. He's the abbot of a therevada monastery, but I feel he always tried to teach this 'purity' you seem to be after, OP.

I'm largely on my own now with regards to Buddhist practice, but I think as long as someone really understands all the fundamental teachings of the Buddha, then you would have the insight to see bad practices and teachings from the various schools, and disregard them accordingly. Just my two cents!

cool - thanks everyone.

Still look forward to any more input.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

Is there many or any people who simply practice a generic or pure form of Buddhism as close to the buddha as possible?

Or has it all been ''corrupted'' into the various forms that vary relatively little?
    All paths (Buddhist) lead to the same place. All paths lead you beyond religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I heard a story recently which was interesting to hear. I'm not buddhist as have a belief in Divine Source, yet anyway,

A great meditation master became well known and people travelled from all over to be with him and listen to his teachings. He usually came to the monastery once a year and stayed for a few months. On one such arrival while sitting down and introducing himself to the crowd waiting for his teachings he noticed a cat.

Sensing that the cat was going to jump on his lap while he was meditating, he took out a piece of twine and caught the cat and tied it to the pole, thus satisfied that he wouldnt be distracted, he continued his teaching for the day and meditated in to the late evening. Every day for the next few months he had to do the same to the cat.

People came and went, ecstatic that they had met the teacher. The teacher passed on, and many of the devotees got together to discuss about the teacher.

People had begun to think that you needed a cat around you to help you to meditate, as this was how their great advanced teacher meditated. Arguments broke out about what colour the cat should be, what markings the cat should have. Others talked about the significance of the pole used to tie up the cat, even some others talked about the need to tie the knot around the cat a certain way.

Many rituals grew up around the use of the cat in the meditation practices, some wanted one thing others a different thing. Each believing they were correct.

The original discussions and guided meditations became a distant memory, and the message that the teacher brought was lost in the rituals of the cat.

Thanks all.

Thats a nice story, and applicable to most if not all religions and practices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Exactly Conor, Such is the way with Humans, sometimes we need to go beyond the stories we hear and delve deeper in to our True Self to find out the truth.

The most beautiful things cant be seen or heard, but felt with the Heart-Helen Keller

Advertisement