Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of motivation to work!!!

Options
  • 25-06-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi people.

I have an odd problem. It could be me, it could be the job.

I have been unemployed since I left college in 2008. I had some interviews and they didn't go anywhere. I was inexperienced with interviews, only really getting decent at them now (In my opinion). I got a temp job before Xmas for 7 weeks. I was very very excited and very happy with it. By the end of the contract I simply couldn't wait to finish the job. Not to sit on my arse all day or anything, I just wasn't happy with the job. It was very repatative, our "supervisor" was very cold to most of us and the training was very very poor. After that I applied for lots of jobs, got an interview every week which helped with confidence and my interview skills. Made an assessment after each interview and where to improve. Anyway, 2 months ago I got another temp job for 4 weeks, but after 3 weeks I got moved to the sales team, cold calling, which I never done before. I have yet to make a sale and I feel completely useless. I just can't do it. I have a BA in a business course and looking to work in IT (I think), still not 100% sure what to do with my life.

Now I worked since I was about 13, on sundays in a kitchen. At one time I had 3 jobs working up to 60 hours a week, I was 20. I cut down to 2 jobs which I worked 35+ hours on weekends. I always considered myself to have a good work ethic. But recently I just don't want to work. I like to think it's the job but worried I have become used to surviving on social welfare. I have zero responsibilities, very low outgoings, no debt worries etc etc. My wages from this place would last a good bit, I don't spend wrecklessly. I feel that when the right job comes up I might just not care. I find my current job extremely boring monotomous and soul draining. It doesn't suit me at all but the money keeps me going, just about. I feel like every day they are going to let me go.

Has anybody here had the same or similar experience? I want to work, I want to be successful but I just can't see that happening. Sorry for being negative. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Keep your resolve and motivation in check, my friend. I mean, keep applying for different positions, and perhaps look further afield than you are [currently looking]. By that I mean look for jobs in the UK and perhaps elsewhere too. You might also consider doing a PhD, which you usually get paid a reasonable sum of money for doing. I graduated last years but am now in Leicester doing a PhD (found it on findaphd.com). There is still a lot of money in research, as it was granted in the years before the recession.

Life has the uncanny knack of taking us where we never expected. I recently read my diary from a decade ago, and in it I said that I'd like to be living in New York right now, and married with children. As it turns out, i'm in Leicester and am very much single!

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

just to say cold calling is not for everyone so don't worry if you feel your not any good at it. Its a specific skill that most people don't have, i did it for a few months and found it the hardest most depressing job ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Don't apply for these jobs.

Only apply for jobs in your field - thats where your interest is. In order to build up experience you may need to work voluntary (e.g. FÁS placement) for a while which should be no prob if you are ok with budgeting. Thats a feat in itself (respect!)

Just don't go for the job that is draining your motivation and will to live. Of course all this is assuming that you did not study some kind of Sales in college. Start now. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Don't apply for these jobs.

Only apply for jobs in your field - thats where your interest is. In order to build up experience you may need to work voluntary (e.g. FÁS placement) for a while which should be no prob if you are ok with budgeting. Thats a feat in itself (respect!)

Just don't go for the job that is draining your motivation and will to live. Of course all this is assuming that you did not study some kind of Sales in college. Start now. Best of Luck

i second the fas placement option...you will have a much better chance of getting work an area you want if you are working in that area already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Are you looking for other jobs at the moment? I don't blame you for feeling down over that job you have - it's soul-destroying stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Kevster wrote: »
    There is still a lot of money in research, as it was granted in the years before the recession.

Technically true, but very misleading. The money that was granted before the recession has all been allocated, and is not used to fund any new positions or projects, only to conclude existing contracts. There is very little money there for new projects/positions. <2% of Irish research funding is for new projects at this time. The "knowledge economy" strategy FF were bleating on about is pure spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Sorry, pwd, but I was speaking from a UK perspective. I am acutely aware that there is a shirtfall of funding back home in Ireland. IT seems to be slowly drying up here too, and in this sense I regard myself as being very lucky to have got funding secured until December 2012. It's not much money at all, but I'll take it to just get me through this period and even get a PhD out of it hopefully.

Some MSc research degrees are also paid, but rarely.

Kevin

Advertisement