Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 Activation - SIM Free

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a 16GB SIM Free iPhone 4 here at the moment. I plugged in a Vodafone IRL SIM that was cut correctly to MicroSIM size (The phone recognises a SIM present) However, in iTunes it says it cannot activate as the SIM is not recognised as a valid carrier.

On my receipt there is an item called "NoContract Sim" listed with an activation number and some other details. It was free but I was never given one in Belfaststore, just the iPhone. Do I need this SIM to activate the phone?

Thanks,

ironclaw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

there is problems everywhere with folks not being able to activate the phone,i think its down more so though with so many trying to do so at once, they did sell an awful lot of them today lol

some people got it activated after a while, some quickly, others not so quick, i think its just a case of perservering, like i said, other board i;m on, same problem.

if you dont like it, you can always sell it to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I had that item on my receipt too - presumably how Apple assigned the individual handsets lock status (remember the sheet of network operators and barcodes on the table that they scanned).

The message you are getting does indicate a locked handset but due to the possibility of damaging the sim while cutting it, it's hard to know which could be the problem. I really suggest you get a proper MicroSIM.

Any chance you can try your chopped up sim in another phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

dougs09 wrote: »
    there is problems everywhere with folks not being able to activate the phone,i think its down more so though with so many trying to do so at once, they did sell an awful lot of them today lol

some people got it activated after a while, some quickly, others not so quick, i think its just a case of perservering, like i said, other board i;m on, same problem.

if you dont like it, you can always sell it to me :D

Thanks for the response. I have two thoughts on it.

1) There is a special SIM Free sim that needs to be put in, then activated on iTunes

or

2) I'm in Ireland (South) so by default I'm using the Irish iTunes store, could also be a problem.

Really need a southerner who has activated with a non-NI SIM in Ireland. Preferably on Vodafone or a non-iPhone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

ironclaw wrote: »
    Really need a southerner who has activated with a non-NI SIM in Ireland. Preferably on Vodafone or a non-iPhone network.

Yep, and I registered the device with my Irish Apple ID ;)

bkehoe wrote: »
    Yep, and I registered the device with my Irish Apple ID ;)

With what network and were you in the south when you did it?

I don't think the sim is damaged. Never went near the contacts. Really annoyed! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

i'm from down south and purchased my unlocked iphone today in Belfast. so far no problems, cut up the sim (o2) activated it, synced it and all good.....i hope......
    the sim was a tester sim i had spare and haven't cut my actual sim yet but i see no reason why it wouldn't work

Ok, tried the second iPhone 4 I bought. Worked first time with no problems. Must be the device or the serial number isnt registered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ok, tried the second iPhone 4 I bought.

Greedy! ;)

Soarer wrote: »
    Greedy! ;)

Lol. Correction, my brothers phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Lol. Correction, my brothers phone.

Correction, your phone. Give the dodgy one to the brother ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement