Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering on 3 Ireland Network IOS 4

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

HI,

I have an iphone 3G factory unlocked, I got it in Italy about 18 months ago.

I tried to enable tethering on the 3 network without any success.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm open to correction on this but afaik Three don't allow tethering with the 1GB included plans. To use tethering you need to pay for the 10GB/month data add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

milltown wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but afaik Three don't allow tethering with the 1GB included plans. To use tethering you need to pay for the 10GB/month data add on.

I'm sure there's a way round it.

I used to be able to use my phone on their network about 3 years ago as a modem for my laptop to get free skype, And then when they bought in age restrictions searching through google would ignore the age restrictions..

Unless they've got better in the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

I used to be able to do it before when apple enabled tethering about a year ago. It appears to have been disabled in a later version of the operating system.

It is now available since the update to 4.0 but I can't get to work.

It comes up with a message to contact carrier.

I think I need to update the IPCC file in the iphone.

Anyone get it to work ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

dingding wrote: »
    I used to be able to do it before when apple enabled tethering about a year ago. It appears to have been disabled in a later version of the operating system.

It is now available since the update to 4.0 but I can't get to work.

It comes up with a message to contact carrier.

I think I need to update the IPCC file in the iphone.

Anyone get it to work ?

Thanks

There should be absolutely no problem: since 3.1.3 my 3IRL SIM and my 3UK both offer tethering with no hassles. Likewise my brand new 3 Italia SIM -and all continue to work since the advent of iOS4

What you must do is connect to iTunes and allow the carrier files to be installed......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

culabula wrote: »
    There should be absolutely no problem: since 3.1.3 my 3IRL SIM and my 3UK both offer tethering with no hassles. Likewise my brand new 3 Italia SIM -and all continue to work since the advent of iOS4

What you must do is connect to iTunes and allow the carrier files to be installed......

It doesn't offer to install carrier files on Three. You can put the APN in yourself by the looks of it though.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    It doesn't offer to install carrier files on Three. You can put the APN in yourself by the looks of it though.

Yes, you're dead right. First of all, carrier files should now be delivered OTA and none have come in yet for 3, though in the case of 3 UK, they should. Secondly, I just popped my 3UK into my 3G for the purpose of testing since iOS4 (first time I've tried it since) and I can tell you that it is still working. It lost the 'tethering' option initially until I put the APN in, then it returned, I turned it on and now I am using it to write this. Ditto, 3 IRL.

whiterebel wrote: »

PS.....it DID install carrier files when I used 3 Italy. Wouldn't work before that. APN is hidden in iPhone 3G and 4 but NOT on iPad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes, you're dead right. First of all, carrier files should now be delivered OTA and none have come in yet for 3, though in the case of 3 UK, they should. Secondly, I just popped my 3UK into my 3G for the purpose of testing since iOS4 (first time I've tried it since) and I can tell you that it is still working. It lost the 'tethering' option initially until I put the APN in, then it returned, I turned it on and now I am using it to write this. Ditto, 3 IRL.

Yes, exactly the same with mine. Not visible until you enter the APN, then hey presto!!

Thanks, for all the replys above.

I added the APN as suggested above, and Internet Tethering appears on the Network menu.

However it just shows a rotating circle for a while and then the Set Up Internet Tethering comes up and when I press that it comes up with an error "To enable tethering on this account contact Carrier"

Other Information.

I have 3ireland.ie as the APN in Cellular data, MMS and Internet Tethering.

I have alos installed the IRL Three profile from the Jellysms site.

Cheers

If anyone who got it working could give me the settings they used and if they used a Profile.

dingding wrote: »
    Thanks, for all the replys above.

I added the APN as suggested above, and Internet Tethering appears on the Network menu.

However it just shows a rotating circle for a while and then the Set Up Internet Tethering comes up and when I press that it comes up with an error "To enable tethering on this account contact Carrier"

Other Information.

I have 3ireland.ie as the APN in Cellular data, MMS and Internet Tethering.

I have alos installed the IRL Three profile from the Jellysms site.

Cheers

If anyone who got it working could give me the settings they used and if they used a Profile.

You no longer need the Jelly profile (which I helped create) so remove that straight away.

3ireland.ie is fine for use within the State, but 3internet is best while roaming and will also work within the state.

As for the 'contact carrier' message all you need to do is keep attempting to set up until that goes away or reboot. It will work eventually (as long as you have an internet bundle provisioned).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭grolschmore

Does anyone know the 3ireland mms settings for iphone 4?
    I had it working with meteor but switched today. i have searched the forums and found these

• APN : 3ireland.ie
    • Username : (Blank)
    • Password : (Blank)
    • MMSC : http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc/
    • MMS Proxy : mms.3ireland.ie:8799
    • MMS Max Message Size : 300
    • MMS UA Prof URL : (Blank)

But they dont work.

Any Ideas?

You no longer need the Jelly profile (which I helped create) so remove that straight away.

3ireland.ie is fine for use within the State, but 3internet is best while roaming and will also work within the state.

As for the 'contact carrier' message all you need to do is keep attempting to set up until that goes away or reboot. It will work eventually (as long as you have an internet bundle provisioned).

Thanks Culabula,

I got it to work and posting this message on it. I removed the Jelly profile and I changed the APN to 3internet

It worked straight away.

Cheers

DingDing:D

I had it working with meteor but switched today. i have searched the forums and found these

But they dont work.

Any Ideas?

It's the proxy that is wrong. It should be completely numerical. I will try and dig it out for you.

But they dont work.

Any Ideas?

Replace the proxy with : 217.171.129.2:8799

Advertisement