Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with anxiety

Options
  • 24-06-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Do many people on here have anxiety trouble. What is the best way to deal with it?
    Is there a particular type of therapist i should be looking for.
    My anxiety mostly effects me when it comes to work. Im starting a job soon and ****ting myself even tho i know its only for a couple of months. I hate if i mess something up in work or if the boss or supervisor was to get thick with me for some reason. Cant deal with it at all. ive quit jobs because of it.
    anyway thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cognitive behavioural therapy is very good for anxiety because it helps to change your way of thinking about the things that make you anxious. I haven't had it myself but I know people who have been helped by it. Your GP will be able to refer you to a therapist.
    Good luck with the job, I bet it will go a lot better than you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi op:)my therapist showed me some deep breathing exercises to help with anxiety, I found it helped a bit,http://healthmad.com/health/health-benefits-of-deep-breathing/. G.luck with the job too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mudbath142

hi anxiousman,

From reading this board and other boards, it's a lot more common than i thought. I dont have any quick solutions. I did try the behavioural therapy before but gave up half way through. I don't know but I think you have to be more open than I probably was for it to work. In the sessions I was involved in the therapist attempted to get me to find a single positive thought that I could implant into my subconscious whenever a stressful event happened. It didn't work for me anyway. I also tried hypnosis and acupuncture to no avail. I have found that you have to talk about it with close friends and places like here where people will give honest feedback. there are some links posted on other threads or this link is also useful:

http://pub18.bravenet.com/guestbook/1494536780/#bn-guestbook-1-1-1494536780/first/1

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi op, I find slow deep breathing helps me and try to focus on the present moment, good luck with the job too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

As somebody said, cognitive behavioural therapy is great for anxiety patients.

I have anxiety and am on meds for it. I did cognitive behavioural therapy in the past and it was absolutely fantastic for helping. It trains you to think more logically when you're panicking and it challenges your irrational thoughts, thus making you realize what you're thinking is silly so that you can help yourself to overcome the thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greengiant09

check out my previous posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adnoif

Hi, sorry to hear that. It shouldn't hold you back and you may have adrenal fatigue - check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277664738&sr=1-1

Good luck!

Advertisement