Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will apple sell the iPhone 4 in Ireland unlocked?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭

I've been following all the threads, but I don't think this has been answered.
    Once apple release the iphone4 in ireland will we be able to buy it direct from
    apple, unlocked at a decent price?
    I'm under the impression that the unlocked phones in uk are cheaper compared to the earlier generations.......

Or am I still at the mercy of o2, having spent 620 on a 3gs locked to o2 and then jailbroken etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

patch11 wrote: »
    I've been following all the threads, but I don't think this has been answered.
    Once apple release the iphone4 in ireland will we be able to buy it direct from
    apple, unlocked at a decent price?
    I'm under the impression that the unlocked phones in uk are cheaper compared to the earlier generations.......

Or am I still at the mercy of o2, having spent 620 on a 3gs locked to o2 and then jailbroken etc.?

I wouldn't discount getting it direct, although i'd forget about a "decent Price".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

well its listed for sale "coming soon" on apple ireland site, along side a sim free 3gs for 499, so can safely assume it'll be available sim free to buy also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'd say 600 for 16gb and 700 for 32 gb

I'd say 600 for 16gb and 700 for 32 gb

It's 630 and 740 in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

One of the reasons I'd go direct this time is for the warranty.
    I have a speck of dust under my screen and a wee crack just above my mute button. Apple will happily swap it for a new one, great news. But, I can't pay a few quid more to get sent the iphone4 because o2 have an interest in the phone. Drat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

It's 630 and 740 in France.

Oh add on the paddy tax then

Oh add on the paddy tax then

Hurrah 700 and 850 it is. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

One of the reasons I'd go direct this time is for the warranty.
    I have a speck of dust under my screen and a wee crack just above my mute button. Apple will happily swap it for a new one, great news. But, I can't pay a few quid more to get sent the iphone4 because o2 have an interest in the phone. Drat.

Nothing to do with O2 having an interest in it. Apple do the warranty full stop, and they won't give you an iP4 as replacement for a 3Gs. Just get yourself the brand new 3Gs and get O2 to unlock it, then you'll get a much better price selling it to get your iP4...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Is there an Irish release date set yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is there an Irish release date set yet?

No. Keep a check on the Apple website, they'll tell you first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

will we be able to buy it direct from apple, unlocked at a decent price?

LOL, remember you're paying €700-800 for a PHONE that will be outdated in 6 months and replaced within 12 months.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Nothing to do with O2 having an interest in it. Apple do the warranty full stop, and they won't give you an iP4 as replacement for a 3Gs. Just get yourself the brand new 3Gs and get O2 to unlock it, then you'll get a much better price selling it to get your iP4...

That would be the ideal solution, but I've had it unlocked and used on vodafone due to having terrible o2 signal at home!
    Therefore I can't see them unlocking it for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That would be the ideal solution, but I've had it unlocked and used on vodafone due to having terrible o2 signal at home!
    Therefore I can't see them unlocking it for me.
    I had Apple replace my 3GS (unlocked by O2) under warranty a few weeks ago, no problem. The new phone they sent me was unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Dades wrote: »
    I had Apple replace my 3GS (unlocked by O2) under warranty a few weeks ago, no problem. The new phone they sent me was unlocked.

yep, even those of us who purchased iphone 4 in Belfast should be covered in the republic...I asked the guy in store, and also rang apple Ireland, they confirmed that even though the phone was bought in the UK(Belfast), warranty will be no problen in the republic..

Dades wrote: »

If its still locked to O2, though, they will send out a new one locked to O2. Did it to me not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

It'l be released down here in july

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    LOL, remember you're paying €700-800 for a PHONE that will be outdated in 6 months and replaced within 12 months.

A phone, iPod, media player, Internet device, an app for virtually anything and all the rest..

And it won't be outdated until the following version, 12 months later. And the likelihood is if you buy this one, you skip the next. So 700 over 2 years for all that isn't that much at all, €30 a month actually.

Yeah I can completely understand people feeling the iphones are too expensive.
    The gadget buyer in me would love to pick up an htc desire, but having bought cheaper and in some ways better phones in the past I now realise that its the app store that makes it worth the money for me.
    some of the games are simply class.
    Unless companies release all or most of the games across all the platforms, I'll be sticking with apple.

A phone, iPod, media player, Internet device, an app for virtually anything and all the rest..

And it won't be outdated until the following version, 12 months later. And the likelihood is if you buy this one, you skip the next. So 700 over 2 years for all that isn't that much at all, €30 a month actually.

Meh, almost every new phone has MP3, video, internet. I'm still going to get one sooner or later because I like them, I have the money and none of its rivals interest me but I personally don't think it's great value for the money.

When I say outdated I mean that there will be some other phone that can do everything the iPhone can and more, then Apple will release the iPhone 5, it's always been that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Meh, almost every new phone has MP3, video, internet. I'm still going to get one sooner or later because I like them, I have the money and none of its rivals interest me but I personally don't think it's great value for the money.

When I say outdated I mean that there will be some other phone that can do everything the iPhone can and more, then Apple will release the iPhone 5, it's always been that way.

None of Apples products are great value for money, nor did they state such a fact but it's the intuitive devices that they create which makes the consumer come back for more and more.

Apple also have a great name for quality, especially on there computer range.

• Advertisement

Kevin! wrote: »
    None of Apples products are great value for money, nor did they state such a fact but it's the intuitive devices that they create which makes the consumer come back for more and more.

I agree with everything in your post. I was just responding to the first post when the OP asked if he could get one at a decent price.

Kevin! wrote: »

If you look at their computers in the long term, they tend to last longer than PCs. I know my laptops still going after 6/7 years, while my wife's PC laptops are fit for the bin after 3. To me, even though the initial purchase is far more, they work out to be much better value at the end of the day. Much as I think the iPhone is expensive, I could only envy how easy it was for PC users to sync all their info with their Nokias or Blackberrys. I could do it with a Blackberry but it was another $59, and limited. Now the Macs and iPhone are all synced up and stay that way, so to me it is worth getting on a contract.

Advertisement