Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to meet my dad

Options
  • 24-06-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short. I've never met my Dad, he left before I was born. I know his first name and that's about it. Asking my mother is not an option (she's very mentally unstable at the moment) so where does that leave me? Is there any agencies etc that he might be registered with if he was looking for me?

I'm 24 so the whole under 18 thing doesn't apply.

Any info anyone would have on the process would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If you only have a first name, not much to go on. No name on your birthcert? Does a grandparent know?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nope, no name on the birth cert - I've even gone to the birth cert office to get a new copy just to see... And no, its just me and mum - no other family.

So basically I've got no options?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I understand exactly what you're going through. It's very tough. Of course you want to know your father, most likely you feel that he's a part of who you are. I'm sorry that you can't go through your mother, but in a lot of cases you can't and this could be for a number of reasons, none of which are your fault.

I don't think Ireland has a list that you're looking for, which is a shame. Your absolute best bet is any family member who might be able to help to give you a surname to your father.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

a close friend of your mums or a family member should be able to give you some details, assuming she was in a relationship with your dad, and he was know to them.

even if you only get a full name, you can start searching social networking sites etc.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Ask your Mum's brothers or sisters or an old friend of hers perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Adoption Board

Although it's not exactly your situation, there's loads of links and advice on the Adoption Board regarding tracing parents.

Good luck!

Advertisement