Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Am I So Hard On Myself?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had been unemployed for a good few months like many others out there and there was nothing showing up in my field for ages.....then I got 3 interviews in close succession....the third and final place was my preference and I really really wanted it and I got it and don't get me wrong I am so so happy but I didn't get offered the other two and for this I feel like a bit of a failure and inadequate. I know we can't win them all but I'm think well if I only got one of of three I can't be much good :/ Am I being silly or do we all just get knock backs like this and it should make me appreciate that the job I got is the right one for me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

OP you said it yourself - we can't win them all - I'm a firm believer in what's right for you won't pass you by and those other two places weren't the right jobs for you. Just learn from it, rejection is not easy, it's very humbling isn't it..... but move on. You got the job you wanted so congratulations, focus on that and doing the best job that you can do there! Don't focus on the negative so much!

Congratulations again OP and best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Congrats on the job. Your been waaayyy to hard on yourself. You got a job in a recession when their are lots of over qualified applicants for any job. You should patting yourself on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Inadequate wrote: »
    I had been unemployed for a good few months like many others out there and there was nothing showing up in my field for ages.....then I got 3 interviews in close succession....the third and final place was my preference and I really really wanted it and I got it and don't get me wrong I am so so happy but I didn't get offered the other two and for this I feel like a bit of a failure and inadequate. I know we can't win them all but I'm think well if I only got one of of three I can't be much good :/ Am I being silly or do we all just get knock backs like this and it should make me appreciate that the job I got is the right one for me...

Just like you were the right person for that job, there were two other people to whom the other jobs were suited. It's just how the world works ;) Doesn't mean you wouldn't have been good at those jobs, just that this was a mutual fit is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

OP, if I had to guess what happened, I would assume this was it:

You really wanted the 3rd job, so you had an extra edge in the interview, maybe prepared more, maybe showed more enthusiasm - either way, it worked [and well done!].

You didn't want the other two quite as much - and one of the other candidates for each of them probably did, and gave the same kind of interview performance you gave in the 3rd one.

I really wouldn't stress about it. You really can never tell why a job wasn't offered - just be glad you got what you felt was the best of the three :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

First congrats on the job! I reckon you're overthinking the other two OP. You got three interviews in a recession...that's great! That means they all saw something that they wanted in your CV.

I know loads of well-qualified, hard-working people who have been going for 10+ interviews and no luck so far. There is so much competition out there at the moment. You should be really proud of yourself for getting one of the three. In times like these that's fantastic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement