Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying sd micro card for HTC desire

Options
  • 24-06-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hello,

Im going stateside and want to get myself a micro SD card for my HTC desire which only has 4GB. I looked at the 32GB card which I can get for about 150 dollars. Hoever I read that because it is only class 2 it is virtually unusable when installed in a HTC Desire. Does anyone have an opinion on the 32GB card for the HTC Desire?

I want to buy a class 6 micro sd 16GB card if the 32GB is not a runner. Any suggestions on the cheapest/best sites selling the class 6 16GB micro SD card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Throw a quick Q to the guys in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055937299&page=4

A few of us have ordered them from mymemory.com, hopefully mine is waiting for me at home as a few lads received them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Thanks for the reply DM
    Im thinking about this for 55 dollars TOPRAM 16GB microSD microSDHC 16G Card Class 6
    Cause im going to the states and have a US credit card Im hoping to get a deal on a card. The promo from mymemory seems to have expired.

Do you know if 32 GB CD Micro class 2 is too slow for the HTC desire?

I'm just home and tried mine out. Having it connected via USB I'm getting 5 to 6 MB/s writing a massive video file.

If you're happy enough with that speed for transferring files then it's grand. I don't know how much faster a class 4 or 6 would be...

As for when the Desire's using it I'm sure it'll be fast enough for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bean wrote: »
    Hello,

Im going stateside and want to get myself a micro SD card for my HTC desire which only has 4GB. I looked at the 32GB card which I can get for about 150 dollars. Hoever I read that because it is only class 2 it is virtually unusable when installed in a HTC Desire. Does anyone have an opinion on the 32GB card for the HTC Desire?

I want to buy a class 6 micro sd 16GB card if the 32GB is not a runner. Any suggestions on the cheapest/best sites selling the class 6 16GB micro SD card?

Where did you read that? I have a 16GB Class 2 card and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

That's good news, I bought a 16gb Class 2 for 40 quid yesterday, glad to hear it will work out nicely!

• Advertisement

Where did you read that? I have a 16GB Class 2 card and it's fine.

I read it on a amazon review. User with a HTC (cant remember the model) installed the card then went on to say in the review that the card was way to slow for the phone. Ill try and find it again and get the link.

Its good the get all the feedback. Im now wondering if the classes of a card matter that much to the performance of the phone

I read it on a amazon review. User with a HTC (cant remember the model) installed the card then went on to say in the review that the card was way to slow for the phone. Ill try and find it again and get the link.

Here is the link to the amazon review

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

I think a class 6 would be better in the long run because with the new update coming for the desire 2.2 it will give you the chance to use the sd card instead of the internal memory to run apps , so the fast the better.

I say a class 2 could run music (yes I read the Amazon review) and photos well but I wouldn't be too sure about video and apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've bought a sandisk 32gb class 2 but haven't got a phone to put it in yet. I've read the card can be read from at about 10mb/s, that would enough for regular xvid avi's. No idea about apps.

I guess it depends on how much you need. 16gb just wouldn't be enough for me and class 2 is the only 32gb available right now.

Thanks for the replies. I think that review was a bit overdone, the comments on it reported that class 2 cards worked fine on the phone. However i will be using the phone as my media player too so for films and music I want quick access. Also with the android 2.2 update and apps moving to the SD card I think im leaning to a smaller but faster 16gb class 6 card.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I think that review was a bit overdone, the comments on it reported that class 2 cards worked fine on the phone. However i will be using the phone as my media player too so for films and music I want quick access. Also with the android 2.2 update and apps moving to the SD card I think im leaning to a smaller but faster 16gb class 6 card.

The Class 2 card is fine for music and video - no lag or issues with playback. I transferred 7 GB of music painlessly too. Obviously we don't know how it'll deal with running apps from the SD card yet so if you can manage with 16GB get the Class 6. In my case it just meant that I had to be selective in the music I transferred (a good thing!).

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    I think a class 6 would be better in the long run because with the new update coming for the desire 2.2 it will give you the chance to use the sd card instead of the internal memory to run apps , so the fast the better.

I say a class 2 could run music (yes I read the Amazon review) and photos well but I wouldn't be too sure about video and apps.
    Works perfectly with video. Using RockPlayer to play a 1.4gig xvid film there's no lag.

Fair enough it took about 2 hours to transfer about 18gigs of music and video onto it and the speed was gradually slowing down as more data was transferred. It still seems to do the job!

M450 wrote: »
    Works perfectly with video. Using RockPlayer to play a 1.4gig xvid film there's no lag.

Fair enough it took about 2 hours to transfer about 18gigs of music and video onto it and the speed was gradually slowing down as more data was transferred. It still seems to do the job!

What's trhe point of putting a 1.4GB video on a phone ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

What's trhe point of putting a 1.4GB video on a phone ffs?
    I would assume so that it does not need to be converted first i.e. just download and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Class ratings don't really count for anything, speed results seem to differ quite a lot between manufacturers. I've seen tests showing SanDisk Class 4s beating Transcend Class 6s.. It depends on the file sizes too.

So don't read too much into someone saying Class 2 is useless. It should be fine for reading files, but don't expect to be doing great bitrates for high-def video recording hacks or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

So I've got my new 16 gb card. Do I need to format it or anything before installing?

I don't have app2sd so I assume I won't lose any apps by changing over?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Your phone still stores settings, photos etc on the memory card so you need to copy everything over to the new one.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Your phone still stores settings, photos etc on the memory card so you need to copy everything over to the new one.

Thanks baza, am now rocking 16 gb, if only the 32 gbs were affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

where'd you get it? And who makes it? Trying to find a good affordable one for my galaxy s thats arriving on monday :)

mathew wrote: »
    where'd you get it? And who makes it? Trying to find a good affordable one for my galaxy s thats arriving on monday :)

I got it from Amazon.

It's a class 2 but I get write speeds of up to 6 MB/s and reads of up to 17 MB/s transferring large files over USB to the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement