Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy in house

Options
  • 24-06-2010 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hey guys

was up with my mam in Louth yesterday. she was telling me that there is a house on its own opposite our housing estate that just got a puppy! lovely puppy she said. but mam was voicing her concern as the people work 9-5 and the dog is left by itself all day. mam said she wakes up to the dog crying. dont quote me on this as she is not sure but she has a view of this house and the dog house is in the front garden and the door is closed over..... mam thinks the puppy is locked in there all day until the owners come home... it could be a case where the puppy is in the owners house. but if this is the case that he is locked in the dog house it is sitting in its own 'dirt' from 9-5..... being an experieced dog owner myself i am aware of how frequently a puppy needs the loo!

we went walking by the house yesterday and the owner had the puppy in the house with her.....

regardless it is a bit cruel if the dog is in either house all day board stupid!

i advise mam to ring animal welfare group in Louth but she is unsure as she has no proof that the dog is kept in but at the same time is working 9-5 cruel on the puppy?

let me know your views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If you think it may be locked into a small kennel all day then contact the ispca. By law dog's have to be provided with water, food and suitable shelter, if it is locked into a small kennel all day then it isin't in suitable shelter as it is walking and sleeping in its own excrement.

If it is locked in the house all day, then while it's not ideal it isin't illegal. They might have puppy pads down for him to pee on, and they might have someone coming in during the day to let him out. If your mother is on speaking terms with them she could suggest to them that she could go in once or twice during the day to let him out to pee and play with him for a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Having a dog in a house all day isnt ideal, but its certainly not cruel so tread very carefully here.

Yes you might think being locked in a house all day is cruel but it wouldnt class as cruelty,

Many people leave their animals inside all day, as its sometimes a lot safer than leaving it out in the garden at risk of being stolen.

I know i wouldnt leave my new pup out in a garden all day if i wasnt there, its too risky, too many animals being stolen these days and id rather come home to a few wees and poops than my dog gone missing.

Dont do anything unless you have actual proof or you could find yourself in a situation where you are making false claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

im not sure weither the puppy is in the kennel or the house.

i kinda new nothing can be done if in the house as its spacious even if locked into a room or something.

but my mothers concern is if it is locked into the kennel 9-5 mon-fri this is cruel. even if the puppy is given water and food in the kennel it still is cruel. in the dark all day and its own dirt all day especially in this heat aswell. it gives me no comfort if the dog is locked in the kennel and has water and food..... its just cruel

mam is not on talking terms with the owners, complete strangers to her.

hopefully the pup is in the house. that gives me comfort

hopefully mam is wrong, cause it will make me sad if she is right. she is woken up every morning to the puppy crying so hopefully she will catch the puppy crying one morning and look out and kennel door is open... whiich will mean the pup is in the house

fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

My brothers Jack russell is locked in their kitchen 11 hours a day when they are in college. Ive voiced my opinion to them but they dont care. Before september I will suggest they drop the dog over to me while they are in college.

Advertisement