Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcomer To Fly Fishing

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

Right, my first post on boards so go easy on me. I'm after finding a 9 foot fly rod and reel at home, I have absoloutely no clue how to fly fish and have **** all to do all summer so may aswell learn. Can anyone link me to an article which has everything I need to know about fly fishing.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Try here first ;)

Where to start! Its a lifetime learning curve really. Tis like religion - you wont get one article with everything in it! :D

You would prob be casting in a few hours and once you can get a fly out on to the water you have a chance. Watch a few videos on basic fly casting on youtube.

Get out in your back garden (that is if the river ain't close by) and start casting. Just to get used to the action of the rod and used to throwing a line.

Have you any flies? Leader? A couple of dozen flies will get you going. Ask in the local tackle shop what flies will work best locally. 4lb or 5lb leader will prob suit you. Actually the guy in the fishing shop can show you how to tie a leader onto your fly line and then the flies.

Then it s a matter of getting out to the river and practice, practice, practice. When you get your first trout on the fly you will be hooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Thanks a million. I always ignored learning how to cast first for the simple fact that I don't even know how to set up a rod! I'll drop by the local tackle shop and get supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you have any more question drop by the forum. There are plenty here who have knowledge they would be more than happy to share. Good luck, you will enjoy it! :)

Advertisement