Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query: Not eligible for 'Free Fees' BUT...

Options
  • 23-06-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I just got acccepted to UCD as a Mature Student for a 4-year Radiography degree.

I already have a BA degree so am not entitled to free fees.

BUT since that course(the BA) was only 3 years the interviewer and head of the radiography dept said I might be entitled to have my final year of the radiography course free. That I still could claim 'another year'.

Does anyone know anything about this situation? Or who I could contact about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

as you already have a degree i don't think that they would consider funding part of your second degree as the free fees only apply to your first degree,in the same way as a grant would not be paid unless you were progressing.here is the link about fees on the student finance website, note the third point http://www.studentfinance.ie./mp9386/undergraduate-courses-of-not-less-than-two-years-duration-in-colleges-in-list-1/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

I believe you are entitled to one year which may likely be the last year, as told you by the College.
    The grant is for 4 years, and you have only use 3 years, so but try and confirm from Citizens Information

rlow68 wrote: »
    I believe you are entitled to one year which may likely be the last year, as told you by the College.
    The grant is for 4 years, and you have only use 3 years, so but try and confirm from Citizens Information

Do you have any sources to back that up (did you hear of anyone ever getting paid for a SECOND degree in ROI) or are you just guessing much like the person in the college was, by that logic anyone who got a grant would be entitled to do four one year postgrads since you are entitled to hold a postgrad grant for 4 years but alas you only get paid for one unless seen as progression MA to PHD.

Grants shall not be paid to candidates who already hold a postgraduate qualification and are pursuing an undergraduate qualification, irrespective of whether or not a grant was paid previously. In addition, grants shall not be paid to candidates who already hold a Level 8 (Honours Bachelor Degree qualification or equivalent qualification) and are pursuing a second such qualification

From the grant application information pack, while this info does not apply directly apply to "free fees" the same principle applies. The length of time to get qualification doesn't matter but once you have one the state won't pay for another, for example you could spend 5/6 years getting a degree in medicine or architecture under free fees, likewise you could go from a cert to ordinary degree to honours degree all under the free fees which also could take 5/6 years but once you have a degree they won't pay another.

If they did start paying for extra years you could argue on a similar principle that if you did a more expensive course as a second degree the state should pay the difference in costs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Once you complete a degree you are no longer eligible for free fees regardless of the length of the course. We investigated this a few year's ago as my husband did the 5-year medicine course after doing a 4-year BSc, he paid fees for all 5 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement