Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Violin?

Options
  • 23-06-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

I just picked up my violin for the first time in a few years and had forgotten how much I enjoyed playing it, and how good I used to be :( I was thinking of maybe going back to lessons, or just working back to where I was then going for grades. (Grade 2, here I come!) I never did them really, got bored of doing one piece over and over.

So could anyone recommend me a new violin? The one I have is really just a beginners instrument, and I'd like something a bit better. Budget's not huge and I'd be going second hand if I can. Maybe €3/400 absolute max, and if there's something good for less, that'd be great. So how much would I be looking to pay for a decent violin, it doesn't need to be professional quality, just better than a student/beginner one? Are electrics really expensive? What are they like to play, I've never so much as picked one up. What kind of amp would it need?

I think its a Palatino I have. Got it from Charlie Byrne in Dublin years ago, is he still there? Would it be worth just getting a setup for it and sticking with it, or is the sound quality a big jump?
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement