Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second yr I.T..

Options
  • 23-06-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

i can haz thred? i maid you a betr orijnl post but i eated it :(

So everyone has their First-Year results. Are we a happy camper or do we have some sad pandas? I trust everyone's sporting their hip, cool IT hoodies?

Right, on to business. What's everyone hoping for next year? I'm hoping to learn Java programming and learn how to actually build a functional piece of software. Console applications are cute, but I've never seen a photograph of my house from space in a console application!

I'd love to learn a bit more about UNIX, Linux and FreeBSD/OpenBSD. Those commands and handouts came in handy when I switched over to Ubuntu as my OS. But besides that, these are fundamental Operating Systems in the world of enterprise IT and it would be a shame for them to simply ignore them in favor of Windows. Even Boards.ie is running on FreeBSD servers!

No more Xilinx. No. Go away. Over there. No, in the corner. The other corner. Good, now face against the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 madbaz

i can haz thred? i maid you a betr orijnl post but i eated it :(

So everyone has their First-Year results. Are we a happy camper or do we have some sad pandas? I trust everyone's sporting their hip, cool IT hoodies?

Right, on to business. What's everyone hoping for next year? I'm hoping to learn Java programming and learn how to actually build a functional piece of software. Console applications are cute, but I've never seen a photograph of my house from space in a console application!

I'd love to learn a bit more about UNIX, Linux and FreeBSD/OpenBSD. Those commands and handouts came in handy when I switched over to Ubuntu as my OS. But besides that, these are fundamental Operating Systems in the world of enterprise IT and it would be a shame for them to simply ignore them in favor of Windows. Even Boards.ie is running on FreeBSD servers!

No more Xilinx. No. Go away. Over there. No, in the corner. The other corner. Good, now face against the wall.

Ha yeah Xilinx is rotten.
    Wonder will be getting any new lecturers for NGT or programming and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MattTheHack

New lecturers...Michael Madden for Java, after that i dont know.

I think we have to do Xilinx again next year guys...I hope im wrong, but i think its OK I dont really mind it. Really liked working with the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Nice place you've got here:cool:!
    Next year, this year, whatever, I intend to take things more seriously, SERIOUSLY! I can do whatever I put my mind to, so I need to put my mind to not letting my mind wander;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Nice place you've got here:cool:!
    Next year, this year, whatever, I intend to take things more seriously, SERIOUSLY! I can do whatever I put my mind to, so I need to put my mind to not letting my mind wander;)!

"This semester, things will be different"? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

"This semester, things will be different"? :P

It seems the frog doubts me! Did I ever mention how epic I am at proving people wrong :rolleyes:?

• Advertisement

So I'm terribly bored. I suggest a game of Halo in the college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bosmedia

Can we still get into the NGT lab?

I want to pretend to my customers that it is my office and all my staff are gone to lunch when I meet them!

bosmedia wrote: »
    Can we still get into the NGT lab?

I want to pretend to my customers that it is my office and all my staff are gone to lunch when I meet them!

I can I'd say. My card worked all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I'd love to learn a bit more about UNIX, Linux ...

...No more Xilinx. No. Go away. Over there. No, in the corner. The other corner. Good, now face against the wall.

We did UNIX in OS in second year ECE, and with IT students too. We also did Java in Programming with the IT students.:)

We did some UNIX in First-Year, basic terminal commands and stuff. Helped me when I switched to using Linux, but I'd love to do more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Not to be negative but first semester of second year was truly awful. So many hours and heavy workload. It felt like it was dedicated to mathematical subjects: algebra, calculus and maths physics. If you get a chance before September, try and get your head around some Java/OO programming. It'll certainly help.

ethernet wrote: »
    Not to be negative but first semester of second year was truly awful. So many hours and heavy workload. It felt like it was dedicated to mathematical subjects: algebra, calculus and maths physics. If you get a chance before September, try and get your head around some Java/OO programming. It'll certainly help.

Crap :/

Yeah I'm throwing myself into Java this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Crap :/

Yeah I'm throwing myself into Java this summer.

Since I'm here. Java and C++ are good to have but I'd advise learning some C# for shizzle

Throw myself into a proprietary Microsoft language which mimics Java? No thanks, I'll leave that to cyberbemon.

Throw myself into a proprietary Microsoft language which mimics Java? No thanks, I'll leave that to cyberbemon.

Ha Ha...Well at least you'll have knowledge of a rapidly declining langauge and your ideals..I talk from actual work experience dealing with alot of different companys. Not just college. Best of Luck.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Ha Ha...Well at least you'll have knowledge of a rapidly declining langauge and your ideals..I talk from actual work experience dealing with alot of different companys. Not just college. Best of Luck.

Why are you even on this forum? You're no more than a common troll, picking fights with NUIG students just because you had a bad experience with the University.

Stay out of our thread.

Why are you even on this forum? You're no more than a common troll, picking fights with NUIG students just because you had a bad experience with the University.

Stay out of our thread.

I didn't have any bad experience with NUIG. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Its not picking a fight I offered you advice and you decided to make some snotty little superior statement out of your ass. I'll stay off this forum now. I have no interest in it. NUIG=Drain on tax payer

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I didn't have any bad experience with NUIG. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Its not picking a fight I offered you advice and you decided to make some snotty little superior statement out of your ass. I'll stay off this forum now. I have no interest in it. NUIG=Drain on tax payer

♫ ♫ Nah nah nah nah... nah nah nah nah... hey hey... ♫ ♫

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

hey,
    Goin into first year this year. Just wondering do any of ye know of any free ebooks or links to sites with stuff in it that we'd be doing... Not really sure what to expect so wouldnt mind having a look through..
    Thanks...

hey,
    Goin into first year this year. Just wondering do any of ye know of any free ebooks or links to sites with stuff in it that we'd be doing... Not really sure what to expect so wouldnt mind having a look through..
    Thanks...

Hey. Nothing I can think of online, but if you're from Galway you could check out some of the books I dropped in to 091 Labs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

This might be of some use. We did some of the basics in a workshop in UL

http://www.w3schools.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Wompa1 does have a point Frog sorry to say, As much as I love Java and do as much as possible. The last 3 jobs I've been in requires C# and a hafty amount of it as well. I would suggest learning a bit of it so you can atleast open a few doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Hey. Nothing I can think of online, but if you're from Galway you could check out some of the books I dropped in to 091 Labs.

could try my. ma. I found it really helpful last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Columc wrote: »
    Wompa1 does have a point Frog sorry to say, As much as I love Java and do as much as possible. The last 3 jobs I've been in requires C# and a hafty amount of it as well. I would suggest learning a bit of it so you can atleast open a few doors!

This is very true.

A good attitude to take towards programming languages is to be agnostic about it.

apoch632 wrote: »
    This is very true.

A good attitude to take towards programming languages is to be agnostic about it.

I've since changed my mind on C#. All hail Hypnotoad.

Moving swiftly on...

Did you see that ludicrous display last night? :D

Advertisement