Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organising/importing contacts to Desire! Help!

Options
  • 23-06-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I got a present of a Desire a few days ago, fabulous phone, I can't stop playing with it! :D

I've got most of it set up the way I want it, but I'm really confused when it comes to the contacts. I've imported the contacts from my meteor SIM but they're displaying along with my gmail contacts in the one list - the SIM ones display like 'lastname;firstname' but the others are fine. Can I edit the format of the SIM contacts? How do I get the multiple entries to merge into one? Do I need to do this manually?

Somebody please help, my head is wrecked!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're syncing with your google accounts, you can manage your contacts from there. The advantage of doing this is that you only have to do it once - then they'll always sync that way.

The contacts screen in gmail also has a button to find and deal with duplicates (should be handy for those SIM contacts).

By the way, while you're in the "people" program, press the menu button and you can select which contacts show on your contact list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I seem to be having a similar-ish problem as the OP. I too have imported my contacts from the SIM card. Everytime I go to ring someone or type in thier name into the contact list I get two sets of the same contact. One from the SIM card and one from the phone contacts. Is there a way to stop this? Even though I've asked the phone to only show the contacts from the phone.

None of these contacts from the SIM or phone are showing up in my google contacts. Is there a way to sync them with my google contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi - yep I have the same problem Brian.

Tidied up my Google contacts on gmail and that helped for the 'People' contact list (thanks for the tip Mr_E) - but if I say reply to a text message, then the list that shows up there has all the messy entries from the SIM card again! Even though they shouldn't display ... very strange.

Glowing wrote: »
    Hi - yep I have the same problem Brian.

Tidied up my Google contacts on gmail and that helped for the 'People' contact list (thanks for the tip Mr_E) - but if I say reply to a text message, then the list that shows up there has all the messy entries from the SIM card again! Even though they shouldn't display ... very strange.
    That's exactly the same thing I'm suffering from. Pain in the arse to be honest. Do you know of a way to get ALL my contacts into my Google Contacts? Or to turn them all into Google contacts? That way I would be able to remove them off the Sim and have one centralised contact list.

Also, you can merge contacts by clicking on the contact in 'people' and clicking on the icon up in the op right of the contact info page on the little broken chain link icon. You can then choose which contacts you want to link. Doesn't work this way for the dulpicate ones that we are experiencing in some of the contact lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

You know you can link contacts from different sources. Open the contact card and it should suggest possible links or you can choose them yourself.

Therefore you can have a single People entry for someone who's on Gmail, Facebook and on your sim.

• Advertisement

M450 wrote: »
    You know you can link contacts from different sources. Open the contact card and it should suggest possible links or you can choose them yourself.

Therefore you can have a single People entry for someone who's on Gmail, Facebook and on your sim.
    Oh I know that. BUT if you have imported all your contacts from you SIM card onto your phone, you end up having duplicates in your contact list when dialing out or when replying in a text. These duplicates do not show up in the 'people' list if you simply click on 'people'

So, basically, if I want to dial someone i click the phone icon at the bottom of the home screen. and I get a list of contacts and a number pad. This contact list has all the contacts on the phone in it (including Google contacts and the ones copied over from the SIM) AS WELL as the contacts found on the SIM too. There is no way to hide them (SIM contacts) while dialing a number. Well. none that I've found anyway to hide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi Brian

I think the solution is to sync with Google then remove ALL contacts from the sim, and to use only your google contacts from now on - then when you try to create a message and add a contact there will be no sim entries to display .... *but* anyone know how to remove contacts from your SIM card?

:-/

Advertisement