Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories that were continued after the author's death

Options
  • 23-06-2010 1:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This got me thinking from the Robert Jordan thread; what series/books have you read that were finished/continued after the author died and how did you find them?

Personally I've only got two so far (Jordan will be the third eventually):

Dune (book six is the end) - The ending is very open ended but the last three pages explaining how he finished it on the same day his wife died and never returned is simply wow... The fact that his son's "additions" were about as useful and interesting as a black painted wall and the characters being just as dimensional as the wall did not help. I read the House X books (they were ok) but once I started on the book 7 and 8 of the Dune series to complete it, ugh... I would rather have hit my genitals with a hammer then read that again (and I'd actually have to consider doing that if it meant I could cleanse it out of my mind!).

Troy: Fall of Kings - David Gemmell - I was always a Gemmell fan and I really liked his Troy: series. Hearing that he died before the third book came out I was horrified; would I get another disaster such as the Dune once? Thankfully his wife could complete the series. It was not as strong as the rest but it offered a good closing to the series and it was enjoyable; I especially liked the ending but may be only me :o.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I quite enjoyed Eoin Colfer's addition to the Hitchhiker's guide series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement