Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nightjar

Options
  • 23-06-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard one of these birds this year?
    we have one in the field (wooded area) behind our house.

Thought it was the electricity lines for weeks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

John mac wrote: »
    Anyone heard one of these birds this year?
    we have one in the field (wooded area) behind our house.

Thought it was the electricity lines for weeks.

What general area (county) are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I understand these are very rare now.

Would encourage you to log on to http://www.bto.org/birdatlas/ and adding it as a roving record for possible breeder. If it is a very rare record they will follow up with you and keep it discrete.

I know people in Birdwatch Ireland HQ who would appreciate knowing the location, just in terms of monitoring / possibly informing habitat conservation efforts. info@birdwatchireland.ie / or PM me if you would like names.

Others here would know if recommended to inform heritage/conservation officers.

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/NPWS/Images/Media,5321,en.pdf
    http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Heritage/NaturalHeritage/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

thanks for that will contact these also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Only 8 sightings on Irish Birding.com in the last two years.

I am assuming its a nightjar (haven't seen it ) as it has identical call as the one on rspb site. and also calls for hours.

wish i had a decent recording rig. as phone wont pick it up, neither will my camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

John mac wrote: »
    I am assuming its a nightjar (haven't seen it ) as it has identical call as the one on rspb site. and also calls for hours.

wish i had a decent recording rig. as phone wont pick it up, neither will my camera.

Hi John mac,

What sort of habitat is it in?

Most suspected Nightjars in this country turn out to be Grasshopper Warblers - have you compared that sound with what you are hearing?

LostCovey

That has me thinking now. only thing is the churring lasts for 5 to 10 mins without a pause.
    I got a recording last night so must get it on to the pc later.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Helium

Probably a Grasshopper Warbler alright.
    Nearly wet myself with excitment last year when I heard what I thought was a Nightjar till a good friend of mine gave me recordings of the two, big disappointment for me.
    Hope you prove us wrong though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nightjar was reported from a traditional area in the Galtee Mtns Co. Tipp last month:)

Advertisement