Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord Good Car?

Options
  • 23-06-2010 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Honda Accord. 04 - 05. Just wondering if they are a good car?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Honda Accord. 04 - 05. Just wondering if they are a good car?

Had a 2005 2 Litre Petrol (Sport model!) for the past 2 years. Put around 50,000km on in that time without a single issue.

Petrol version is fairly thirsty, but reliable and pretty quick for a 2 Litre saloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

A little heavy on petrol but yes a very good and reliable car. Make sure it has been serviced properly as parts are expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Know anything about the diesel version? I heard they give trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We've an 06 on fleet which has just had 2 driveshafts replaced at 195,000km. Doesn't seem to have had anything else done except standard servicing and tyres - hasn't even eaten a clutch yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

From another accord driver - no complaints , dont even think its that heavy on petrol either nothing unreasonable anyway. Smooth, solid car very reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've a '05 uk import Exec model (2.2L) for the last three years and not one bit of trouble with it.
    Fuel economy is about the 53 mile mark as long as you make sure the oil is the proper 10W40 - it goes down if any other type of oil is used as I found out after a particular service. It can be heavy on brake pads but they're cheap enough (had to change mine once in the three years I had it).

All in all though, I love it - it's comfy and not one of those ten-a-penny type cars you see everywhere. Compared to a lot of the alternatives, you also get a shedload more extras for the same money...heated leather seats, aircon, cruise control etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

yep good cars ,cant go wrong with the older hondas very reliable ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭positron

Driving an 2005 2l petrol last two years, no bother other than usual service. They are also very well spec'd with great seats, dual climate control etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

if the fuel pump goes BANG in the 2.2d, it's big wonga to sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

MidlandsM wrote: »
    That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want a false economy...... spending a fortune on repairs while saving on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cracking car. Reliable and very comfortable.

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want a false economy...... spending a fortune on repairs while saving on fuel.

Track down a honda owners forum and browse there and ask questions.
    Also, as the diesel is a 2.2, they're stiff enough on road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try and get the Executive model which has full leather electric heated seats.

If going for diesel watch the oil level, it is normal for them to consume a good bit of oil. If you are doing low mileage then you would probably be better off with the petrol, the initial purchase price savings and less chance of something going wrong will make up for the extra fuel costs on the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

smokingman wrote: »
    I've a '05 uk import Exec model (2.2L) for the last three years and not one bit of trouble with it.
    Fuel economy is about the 53 mile mark as long as you make sure the oil is the proper 10W40...

If that's a 2.2 diesel than it should take fully synth 0w30...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

I used to sell them and I have to say that they are great cars. Sold one to my dad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

MidlandsM wrote: »

If the fuel pump goes in anything it costs big wonga.

SARASON wrote: »
    If the fuel pump goes in anything it costs big wonga.

not on the honda scale.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Driving a 04 2l petrol for 2 years now, very happy with it.
    Did some research at time of purchase, generally very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I have a 96 2.0 with 97k miles on it cant break it and i drive the crap out of it.

Diesels are known to have issues with oil consumption though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Major downside to the pre 08 diesels is the €860 tax a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement