Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering growbags when on holidays

Options
  • 23-06-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I've 3 growbags going at the moment, with tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes and salads. They are by the shed wall lifted onto 2 long wooden planks and doing well so far. I'm going on holidays for a week at the beginning of July. Being my first attempt at growing vegies, I've no idea what I can do to keep the watered without having to bother a friend to come over to do it. I remember I have some watering spikes somewhere but I doubt that they will stay up if I attach a full 2L water bottle with them. I'm not sure either if 2L per plant for one week will be enough, particularly if this warm weather continues. Any ideas please? I'd prefer a cheap/diy option..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think this is an occasion of what friends are for...

Would you return the favour?

I've absolutely zero experience of grow bags. You won't have been the first with this situation. I'm intrigued to hear of solutions to what is a temporary issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

I would certainly return the favour or be the first to do it for a friend or neighbour. I know friends would not hesitate to help but I was also curious to know if more experienced people had any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

inigo wrote: »
    I would certainly return the favour or be the first to do it for a friend or neighbour. I know friends would not hesitate to help but I was also curious to know if more experienced people had any ideas.
    there is something that you put one end in a bucket of water and the other end into the plant pot or bag, this soak up the water and keep wet all the time, i will look it up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Dripper+Kit+with+12+Drippers

have a good look at this, may be the answer to your paryers, or give you ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Fill a 2 liter bottle of coke and punch a hole in the cap with a screw driver. Screw the cap back on and push it into the soil. It will slowly seep out. It's what I do. For a week you should be fine. Could even push 2 weeks depending on the size of the plants and quantity and position of the grow bags(i.e full sun, partial shade etc)

• Advertisement
Advertisement