Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to revive a lack lustre mimosa tree?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, first post in gardening forum. Hoping some experienced green fingers can assist me! We have a mimosa tree in our garden that is not doing so well. it is barely blooming and looks to be on the way out (seems as if it is in "winter" mode, though a bit of growth on some branches). We actually had two of these trees for many years. About 4 years ago we had them cut by a two-bit handyman who didn't have a clue. His clumsy efforts killed one of the trees off. The other recovered for the most part, but has gone downhill again in the last year. I think it is a combination of the poor cutting a few years ago, but more so a semi-broken tap/pipe which we (yes for shame, we are normally more environmentally friendly) left "spraying" for a number of months right next to the tree, as it was impossible to fix, and we were short of cash at the time but had to bite bullet eventually and get plumber up to cut into wall to fix it properly. I have a suspicion that this constant influx of water in the vicinity of the tree has damaged it (wasn't pouring right on to it but very near to it, running down an incline).

I did a bit of research online, and some were saying that watering the tree with fertliser etc. won't do much good if applied on the surface - what they recommend apparently is to get a drill and drill in a few places around the tree to get a narrow and deep hole and to then put some type of fertiliser down closer to the roots. Does this sound like a solution? Can anyone recommend anything else? We can ill-afford to tear down the tree, not to mention it would be a terrible shame!

Advertisement