Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

Has anyone out there ever successfully appealled a Vehicle Regristration Office decision on the amount of VRT to be paid on a campervan imported from the Uk.
    Aslo could anyone estimate the price of a 1989 Fiat Ducato 4 berth Camper.
    They seem to have plucked a figure out of thin air in order to calculate the registration tax on our camper.
    Any information would be gratefully recieved.

milagan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

milagan wrote: »
    Hello,

Has anyone out there ever successfully appealled a Vehicle Regristration Office decision on the amount of VRT to be paid on a campervan imported from the Uk.
    They seem to have plucked a figure out of thin air in order to calculate the registration tax on our camper.

milagan

Out of curiosity, what figure did they conjure up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hello,

milagan

Get "asking" prices off done deal and gumtree then go back and argure it, you only appeal after you've fought the case with them in the office, if necessary ask to speak to somebody more seniour or even get them to call Roslare (where the price is set) do this at a time where they will want you gone. If your can is very clean and in good condition offer to meet them half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I appealed the amount they charged and got a refund !.
    They valued mine at about a thousand more than I thought it was worth so I quoted, with print-outs, campers for sale on the internet and compared them to mine and won the case with no arguments or problems. My local vehicle reg. office advised me to appeal as, yes, even he thought that the powers that be just pull a figure out of the air.

So go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 milagan

Hey Irishgoatman,
    That's great, thanks a million for that, it's good to hear. I take it though, that this means you had to pay the inflated rate initially and you were then refunded. Have you any idea if they allow you to hold off payment until you appeal?
    Milagan

Hey spacehopper and fingers McGee,

Sorry just seeing your replies now- I'm new to this thing and not really sure how it works. Thanks for the info its very helpful.

They decided that they wanted €798 vrt which means that they estimated that a 1989 Fiat Ducato 4 berth with 120,000miles was worth €5911. I don't think so! What does anyone else think ?

• Advertisement

Hey Irishgoatman,
    That's great, thanks a million for that, it's good to hear. I take it though, that this means you had to pay the inflated rate initially and you were then refunded. Have you any idea if they allow you to hold off payment until you appeal?
    Milagan

Sorry but not a hope in hell of defering payment. Like all governments they want the money up front.
    Tongue in cheek I asked if I would be paid interest on any refund. The guy in the office liked my sense of humour.
    I seem to remember that it only took about 3 or 4 weeks from sending my appeal in to receiving the cheque, so not too bad really as long as you have the cash to pay out in the first place.
    As well as sending details of better campers for around the same price as mine, but bigger than I needed, I also sent them one that was right size for me and cheaper but |I pointed out that it had twice the mileage. This was info. that they could have gone looking for and could hold up their decision. So try to anticipate their reaction to what you send them.
    Hope this helps, best of luck.

Just read back over the other replies.
    I would advise against making any sort of offer at this stage. In your appeal just tell them what you believe it to be worth from your research and wait for their reply. That's what I did and they came within 100 euro of my figure.

Thanks for all the help lads, I'll see how I get on.

I'm thinking that this has to be a breech of your consumer rights; It was impossible for me to make a completely informed decision about the purchase of the campervan as I could get no clear indication from the authorities about the final price of the product. And now I'm stuck with a product which I can't legally use for it's intended purpose until I pay up. What is my position if I can't afford to pay the Vrt. . . :eek:

Thanks for all the help lads, I'll see how I get on.

I'm thinking that this has to be a breech of your consumer rights; It was impossible for me to make a completely informed decision about the purchase of the campervan as I could get no clear indication from the authorities about the final price of the product. And now I'm stuck with a product which I can't legally use for it's intended purpose until I pay up. What is my position if I can't afford to pay the Vrt. . . :eek:

Yes, VRT is a pain. I understand that it was a E.U. consession because Ireland was the only E.U. country without a motor industry, but I might be wrong on this. With regard to not being able to afford to pay, not knowing that the rule/law is there is no excuse to the powers that be.icon9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Father in law appealed and got a measly 500 euro back on a hymer they overvalued by 7k euro. Now if he just put four leisure batteries into like I suggested he would have been over the three ton and got away with €70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

What is the vrt situation on a march 1980 campervan.Is it a vintage vehicle as it's over 30 year old,or was there a change in the last budget to limit vintage vehicles to ones registered before 1st Jan 1980.:confused:
    Would this vehicle need a DOE or would it be exempt as it's over 30 year old.Also anyone got any experience of insuring a Camper of this age.Would you be better getting Insurance through a camping club or just get insurance as a Vintage vehicle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Hello again, The first part I gave an answer on the classics section as to insurance, I'm covered through Stuarts brokers in Blackrock and mine is a 79.
    I think Dolmen will do it too but mine is 5.7 litres and stuarts are cheaper for big engines. You will need an engineers report either way.

Just out of interest did anyone import a Pre July 1980 vehicle of any kind yet,and if so was it classed as vintage for vrt and motor tax confused.gif

manta356 wrote: »
    Just out of interest did anyone import a Pre July 1980 vehicle of any kind yet,and if so was it classed as vintage for vrt and motor tax confused.gif

Spoke to someone in Motor Tax Office today who confirmed that if the registration document shows an actual date of first reg that is over 30 year old (eg 30 jun 1980) then it qualifies for the vintage rate,but if it only states the year (eg 1980)it wont qualify until January 2011.(provided they dont change anything in the upcoming budget that is)
    I still have no confirmation if the vrt works the same as above

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

paddyp wrote: »
    Father in law appealed and got a measly 500 euro back on a hymer they overvalued by 7k euro. Now if he just put four leisure batteries into like I suggested he would have been over the three ton and got away with €70

Are you saying if it is over 3 ton, the vrt is much less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

kilk wrote: »
    Are you saying if it is over 3 ton, the vrt is much less?

That info is from back in 2010 , the 3ton rule has been dropped all MHs are how liable for VRT regardless of weight.

Advertisement