Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Shooting Club

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So i want to get started with shooting but dont really know where to begin. I go to UCD so i was considering joining the rifle club to try learn but i dont know any details. Do i need to buy a rifle first or do they have their own? I assume i would still need a licence even if they supplied them? Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They'll supply all the kit, from clothing to rifles, with no licensing requirements, and they provide tuition. Very nice range too, all electronic targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hantipants

Wow, that sounds pretty ideal. If i were to get more interested in the sport after trying using the club gear, would it be allowed to bring my own rifle to the range, if i were to buy one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You don't need to have any previous experience of shooting in order to join UCD Rifle Club as the Range Officers and coaches will provide all instruction in both safety and shooting techniques. You don't need any equipment, either, as it's all supplied by the club. So literally all you have to do is turn up with your student card, and they'll take it from there.

The UCD RC website is www.ucd.ie/rifle and that should have some of the basic info you need.

It'd also be a good idea to email them at ucdrifleclub@gmail.com as the account is checked regularly so you should get a reply from them relatively quickly even though it's 'out of term' so to speak. It would be worthwhile asking them if they've any summer opening hours, too, as if they do it would give you a chance to call down to the range when it's quiet and see what it's like, etc.

Hantipants wrote: »
    If i were to get more interested in the sport after trying using the club gear, would it be allowed to bring my own rifle to the range, if i were to buy one?

When matches are held all those competing bring their own rifles to the competition, so there shouldn't be any problem if you wanted to bring down your own rifle to train there (assuming all the paperwork was in order! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hantipants

Thanks for the info, i just checked out the site, only €10 membership definitely suits! Ill give it a go come september, but i cant go during summer because i dont live in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

And students reckon they're hard done by :p

And students reckon they're hard done by :p

This student just bought himself a new rifle. That's a big pinch to be feeling, so feck off. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, to be fair, it has taken years of work to build up the kit and range that both UCDRC and DURC have. It's a pretty nice story really - a group of people, usually in their late teens (a time generally regarded as being somewhat characterised by a degree of irresponsibility), and yet for 10 years in UCD and nearly 50 in TCD, successive generations of teenagers have successfully run rifle clubs with very high standards of training, equipment, participation levels and performance levels. They've trained literally thousands of shooters, won hundreds of medals in competition, produced dozens of national champions in just about every discipline, have represented their country internationally, and have had supplied trained committee members to several clubs and associations.

You'd nearly think that learning to shoot teaches people something... :D

This student just bought himself a new rifle. That's a big pinch to be feeling, so feck off. :p

As I was saying ye have it so hard :p

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, it has taken years of work to build up the kit and range that both UCDRC and DURC have. It's a pretty nice story really - a group of people, usually in their late teens (a time generally regarded as being somewhat characterised by a degree of irresponsibility), and yet for 10 years in UCD and nearly 50 in TCD, successive generations of teenagers have successfully run rifle clubs with very high standards of training, equipment, participation levels and performance levels. They've trained literally thousands of shooters, won hundreds of medals in competition, produced dozens of national champions in just about every discipline, have represented their country internationally, and have had supplied trained committee members to several clubs and associations.

You'd nearly think that learning to shoot teaches people something... :D

And all they do is whinge how hard life is for them :p

Like the link btw ;)

• Advertisement

As I was saying ye have it so hard :p
    Pffft. I got my kit in college too. It's not so much a sign of largesse as it is a sign that you'll be paying off the credit union loan for the next five years...

And all they do is whinge how hard life is for them :p
    *falls off chair*
    An Irish target shooter who complains about how expensive stuff is?
    No, it can't be. None of us do that. Ever. At all. Nope, not a single one of us would ever fail to be a stoic. We're famous for it. "Those Irish target shooters", they say from America to Finland, "they're so stoic, they never complain about anything no matter how difficult things get and they're never slow to pay even the most onerous fees. We wish we were more like them all the time"

Actually this one came out of savings and earnings, no debts, just a big, empty hole where my money used to be. Sigh.

Come on ............ €10 membership and look what you get :eek:

I'm going back to school :P

Well, to be fair, it has taken years of work to build up the kit and range that both UCDRC and DURC have [...] and yet for 10 years in UCD and nearly 50 in TCD, successive generations of teenagers have successfully run rifle clubs with very high standards of training, equipment, participation levels and performance levels.

10 years in UCD? :eek:

I assume you meant over 20 years... Do you not remember receiving an invitation to UCD RC's 20th Anniversary celebrations two years ago? :pac:

So why doesn't your club provide all that for beginners then bunny? :p

convert wrote: »
    10 years in UCD? :eek:
    I assume you meant over 20 years... Do you not remember receiving an invitation to UCD RC's 20th Anniversary celebrations two years ago? :pac:
    Good god, it's 2010.

Feck.

Yes, 20 years :D

Good god, it's 2010.
    #

Welcome to the 21st century! :D

Damn whippersnapper!

So why doesn't your club provide all that for beginners then bunny? :p

Which club would that be :confused:

I'm in 2 x "game" clubs and a member of a range.

The game clubs wouldn't spend a cent on anything except pheasants :rolleyes:

The range provides me with a superb facility that allows me to use any of my firearms in a safe, secure and comfortable environment more or less whenever I want :cool:

However none of these do it for €10 :(

• Advertisement

Damn whippersnapper!

I was going to object, and remind you that I still remember shooting in UCDRC when the awful hand-wound target changers were still in place, but now I've decided that I'll take the compliment and enjoy being a whippersnapper! :D

Come on ............ €10 membership and look what you get :eek:

I'm going back to school :P

Come to Trinity. It's €4 and we have smallbore as well as air rifle. (I think choosing a university based on its rifle club is a properly solid decision) :p

Come to Trinity. It's €4 and we have smallbore as well as air rifle. (I think choosing a university based on its rifle club is a properly solid decision) :p

:eek: €4 :eek::eek:

Next whinging student I meet will get a shock :p

Well, €304 for alumni :D

Besides, have you considered that it's not that the colleges are very cheap but that everyone else is very expensive? :D

(Plus, it's €4 for the year for DURC plus you buy ammunition from DURC when you shoot there, plus the alumni kick back a few euro to help the budget, so they do manage to stay in the black by ~€20-30 each year).

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You should hear the whinging any time the club raises (or tries to raise) the price!

There was at least one 1st year last autumn who said "€4? So, does that cover me for all 4 years?". Cheeky fecker.

I wouldn't mind, but when I joined it cost 2 or 3 pints. Now it costs ~1 pint.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Yeah, but that's not down to the club, it's down to the vintners :D

IRLConor wrote: »
    You should hear the whinging any time the club raises (or tries to raise) the price!

There was at least one 1st year last autumn who said "€4? So, does that cover me for all 4 years?". Cheeky fecker.

I was nearly moved to motion over that guy. Bleedin' cheek!

I was nearly moved to motion over that guy. Bleedin' cheek!
    You should have signed him up on the spot, he sounds like he's been shooting for decades already :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Yeah, but that's not down to the club, it's down to the vintners :D

True.

I just ran the numbers. My £3 joining fee in 2000 is equivalent to a €4.92 joining fee today.

• Advertisement

See? DURC. Serious value for money :D

Advertisement