Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location services

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

If you turn location services what exactly does it mean? Apps know where you are? is there disadvantages to it? How much does it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

It doesn't even seem to work on my touch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Th only disadvantage is it's an extra drain on the battery. If ur on os4 it will show what location photos were taken or some apps use it to guide u too a restauran or whatever the app might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

It doesn't even seem to work on my touch

It will work, but quite badly. On the iPod it uses ( I think ) the geographic position of the IP address your iPod is connected to, but sometimes this isn't accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Ricky91t wrote: »
    It will work, but quite badly. On the iPod it uses ( I think ) the geographic position of the IP address your iPod is connected to, but sometimes this isn't accurate.

Ahh right! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Mr.S wrote: »
    It enables apps to use the A-GPS, like Google Maps.

If your using 3G, then its going to use data, which could cost you money.

Have it disabled when your not using apps that need it, as it saves battery.

I have 3g turned off. Does that mean it's ok to leave location services on? Will it use wifi instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It will work fine with wifi, it's actually scarily accurate with wifi to within 20 meters!!

Advertisement