Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I may have bricked it trying to update to iOS4

Options
  • 22-06-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

As this problem has occupied most of my day I will keep it in point form and hope that as usual someone here will be able to help.

- Started this morning with 3g 8gb jailbroken but not unlocked 02 iphone
    - decided i was going to unjailbreak and upgrade to iOS 4 before seliing it on
    - upgraded itunes to latest 9.2 or whatever no problem
    - had synced not that long ago so didnt bother this morning
    - had downloaded iOS 4 succesfully but no installed
    - plugged iphone in and hit restore
    - half way through restore it froze.. left it 20 mins but no good.
    - phone now shoeing " connect to itunes screen"
    - couldnt get itunes to recognise iphone from then
    - changed usb ports no good
    - bought new cable... no good
    - uninstalled and then reinstalled itunes ... no good
    - now it gets weird.. when i connect iphone to usb cable the 02 mobile broadband modem disconnects and is unrecognised until plug out phone and relaunch 02 broadband application !!!!
    - have unistalled and reinstalled USB universal host controllers but still no good.

Any ideas folks? When i connect iphone obviously as its in recovery mode itunes is trying to contact apple servers but with the fact that on pluggin it in internet / modem gets screwed up and disconnected in an other USB port that is not possible. (have tried every combination of usb ports also.)

:confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

try press and hold the home and sleep buttons together, when it turns off release the home button but hold the sleep button until ya see the apple on screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BIGButters

Rite put your iphone into DFU mode

[TUT] http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-put-an-unresponsive-iphone-into-dfu-mode-259739/

Then when that's done restore to the 4.0 GM as you want to jailbreak, the official from apple has the exploit blocked http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TK8ZUXHB

Any problems give me a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Thanks guys.. both solutions would work but for one problem.. which it is looking more and more lightly is not an apple problem but a xp sp3 or a dell problem.

I can get to the part where it says itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode etc.. I can get all the way to extracting the software and then itunes needs to connect with apple to verify.

Problem is within seconds of me plugging the iphone in my internet connection is cut and i am told that the modem is not recognised by the usb port. If i unplug the phone.. slide the modem out and into the same or different usb port it recognises it again and i can connect. If i leave the iphone in and try this the modem just comes up as an unknown device.

All the usb ports are working fine on their own but once i plug in the phone the modem isnt recognised and internet connection is cut leaving itunes unable to verify the restore with apple.

i'm stumped, maybe post a thread in the windows forum and see can ya get a better answer there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

irish1967 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.. both solutions would work but for one problem.. which it is looking more and more lightly is not an apple problem but a xp sp3 or a dell problem.

I can get to the part where it says itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode etc.. I can get all the way to extracting the software and then itunes needs to connect with apple to verify.

Problem is within seconds of me plugging the iphone in my internet connection is cut and i am told that the modem is not recognised by the usb port. If i unplug the phone.. slide the modem out and into the same or different usb port it recognises it again and i can connect. If i leave the iphone in and try this the modem just comes up as an unknown device.

All the usb ports are working fine on their own but once i plug in the phone the modem isnt recognised and internet connection is cut leaving itunes unable to verify the restore with apple.

Try a different PC, It would think it will work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BIGButters

You could try change your hosts file to redirect to cydia's server rather than apples during the restore

http://www.saurik.com/id/12#howto

Aparently (according to the wise chappies over on the windows thread) my iphone in restore mode may be drawing too much power from the USB port to the detriment of the other USB port with the modem in it.

if i take it to another PC.. restore it to its original state I assume i will be able to come back to my home PC and sync it and so restore all my contacts, pictures, apps etc ? Is this right?

(Would my local 02 store let me restore it on their PC?) :confused:

BIGButters wrote: »
    You could try change your hosts file to redirect to cydia's server rather than apples during the restore

http://www.saurik.com/id/12#howto

That's pointless if he's losing the connection

irish1967 wrote: »
    Aparently (according to the wise chappies over on the windows thread) my iphone in restore mode may be drawing too much power from the USB port to the detriment of the other USB port with the modem in it.

if i take it to another PC.. restore it to its original state I assume i will be able to come back to my home PC and sync it and so restore all my contacts, pictures, apps etc ? Is this right?

(Would my local 02 store let me restore it on their PC?) :confused:

I neve had a problem with my o2 bb with the iPhone in dfu. Have ya access to another laptop/pc. You could connect to o2 on it and share the connection to ur laptop.

Well I guess my old Dell PC is coming near the end of its lifespan (b.2002)

Having read up.. for hours.. its seems that XP SP3 introduced power saving or limiting on USB ports. I have disabled this but to no avail. I am gonna head down to the o2 shop when it opens (they will remeber me from yesterday when I bough a new USB cable :)).
    If I can restore the iphone there to factory settings and get iOS 4 on to it there then I guess syncing it on my Dell will not need an internet connection.

• Advertisement

:) took it down to my local O2 shop and they restored it for me and uploaded iOS4.

I am kinda nervous now about syncing it. Under any circumstances will connect to internet while syncing???

It is restored with nothing of mine on it.

I think it might. ITunes was able to tell me that apps I was trying to sync weren't purchased on my iPhone so wouldn't install them

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have rear and front ports on your PC connect the pod to the rear and the modem to the front. They are generally on different buses IIRC and have separate power.

Phew ! all done now. And its fine.

Now on an unjailbroken phone for the first time in ages and also running the latest software. (liking the Folders a lot)

Lost a few photos and pics but that's my own fault for not backing up for ages.

Thanks to all who helped.

Oh and P.S ... the modem still disconnects when i plug in the iphone.. guess its time i bought a new PC before the iPhone 4 comes along smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

To solve your USB port issue you can buy an external USB hub which has a power supply. It should offer the extra power to the ports.

Advertisement