Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD Ready TV/No HDMI Port

Options
  • 22-06-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

Okay, so i understand i can buy an adaptor for HDMI to DVI which doesn't play sound.

Any ideas of how to get around the sound issues?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

most tvs i've seen that had DVI input generally have an audio beside the DVI socket. usually a 3.5 mm jack (same size as a headphone socket) input. but some could be 2 rca (red & white) inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Yeah, it has DVI audio input.

Could you or anyone else tell me the name of the cable that connects the receiver to the DVI input.

Thanks!

depends what connectors are on the device you're trying to connect up.

this is the most common - 3.5mm jack to 2 rca

http://www.computercableinc.com/ccinc/images/CABLE-2-RCA-Male-to-3-5mm-Stereo-CableWholeseale.jpg

big_moe wrote: »
    depends what connectors are on the device you're trying to connect up.

this is the most common - 3.5mm jack to 2 rca

http://www.computercableinc.com/ccinc/images/CABLE-2-RCA-Male-to-3-5mm-Stereo-CableWholeseale.jpg

Thanks Moe.

The white/yellow connection won't work. The connection on the back of satellite receiver is just the one connection and it says "digital audio". The normal headphone "pin" (excuse my terminology) won't fit it, but the opposite end, the coloured ends fit it.

Any ideas what connection i need?

thats a digital coax socket so on your sat box - wont help you in this case. what connections are on your tv for the audio input?

• Advertisement

I'll be gutted if i can't get audio to go along with the picture.

Audio inputs are DVI input and the usual red and white inputs.

right so you've got a dvi socket for your picture and red/white inputs for the audio.

if you dont have red/white outputs on your sat box, use a scart adapter like this

http://medda86.com/tv/scart-adapter.jpg

and then use a 2 rca to 2 rca cable

Okay thanks Moe. I'll try to get my hands on one of those tomorrow.

The 2 rca to 2 rca doesn't work with the scart adapter. Still no sound. Is there anything i can use in the DVI audio hole on the back of the tv?

When i tried the 2 rca/3.5 mm jack using the scart adapter i can hear some sound if i turn the tv right the way up.

Could it be that my scart adapter doesn't have an input/output switch and is just input?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Could it be that my scart adapter doesn't have an input/output switch and is just input?

Could you post your TV make and model number please. What you are looking for is any socket beside the DVI port that says "audio in". It will either be a single RCA socket (probably a black), a pair of Red/White RCA sockets or a Digital input (either RCA-Coax or optical TosLink).

nereid wrote: »
    Could you post your TV make and model number please. What you are looking for is any socket beside the DVI port that says "audio in". It will either be a single RCA socket (probably a black), a pair of Red/White RCA sockets or a Digital input (either RCA-Coax or optical TosLink).

It's a Philips Model no 23PF4321 /01

Yes, there is a black socket that says DVI audio in. There are also the usual red and white audio in sockets.

right that dvi audio in is a 3.5mm jack - the red & white connectors on your tv are for a different inpt so wont match up with the dvi picture. . you need to get a cable that will go from this to your sat box. the single digital out connector wont work. the easiest way is the red & white connectors from the sat box. if you dont have red/white from the sat box then the only other alternative is the scart adpter to red/whites. if the scart adapter doesnt have an in/out switch on it, its possible its wired up for only single way. so i'd say get a switchable scart adapter, set it to output and you should be sorted

big_moe wrote: »
    right that dvi audio in is a 3.5mm jack - the red & white connectors on your tv are for a different inpt so wont match up with the dvi picture. . you need to get a cable that will go from this to your sat box. the single digital out connector wont work. the easiest way is the red & white connectors from the sat box. if you dont have red/white from the sat box then the only other alternative is the scart adpter to red/whites. if the scart adapter doesnt have an in/out switch on it, its possible its wired up for only single way. so i'd say get a switchable scart adapter, set it to output and you should be sorted

Yeah, i think thats the problem. It says input on the scart adapter i had lying around, but coming from the receiver it should be output, i imagine.

Thanks!

Got it working. The 2 rca to 2 rca wouldn't work for whatever reason so then i tried 2 rca with the other end plugged into the DIV audio in jack and it's working fine.

Thanks for your help and patience. Much appreciated.

Advertisement