Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of England notes in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 22-06-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I know that people often have trouble trying to use N.Ire notes in mainland U.K, but what about in N'Ire itself? Are both N'Ire notes and Bank of England notes accepted, or just N'Ire notes, since Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales?

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Both are accepted there. ''Queen's head'', as UK stg is also called, is accepted in mainland UK and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I know that people often have trouble trying to use N.Ire notes in mainland U.K, but what about in N'Ire itself? Are both N'Ire notes and Bank of England notes accepted, or just N'Ire notes, since Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales?

Thanks.

"Legal Tender" just means that if you owe someone money then they have to accept something which is Legal Tender.

In Northern Ireland and Scotland, the only Legal Tender is coins - even the NI and Scottish Notes aren't legal tender, and neither are BoE notes.

They are, of course, all Legal Currency, which is a different thing.

In answer to your question, BoE, Scottish and NI notes are all accepted in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Just bare in mind the old style English 20pound notes are no longer legal tender from the end of this month (30th June) Thats the one with a picture of Elgar on it.

http://en.mercopress.com/2010/03/09/sir-edward-elgar-20-notes-out-of-circulation-from-june-30

Edit> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/banking/7397202/Elgar-20-note-no-longer-legal-tender.html has a pic of the note that is going out of circulation

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

We even accept Euro here in the North :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Richard wrote: »
    "Legal Tender" just means that if you owe someone money then they have to accept something which is Legal Tender.

In Northern Ireland and Scotland, the only Legal Tender is coins - even the NI and Scottish Notes aren't legal tender, and neither are BoE notes.

They are, of course, all Legal Currency, which is a different thing.

In answer to your question, BoE, Scottish and NI notes are all accepted in NI.
    Just about what I was going to say. In NI they'd accept just about anything.

Annoys me to hear the Scots complaing about the English not accepting their "legal tender".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Din Taylor wrote: »
    Just about what I was going to say. In NI they'd accept just about anything.
    Ah, now that's a bit harsh :P

Advertisement