Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to pick spuds

Options
  • 22-06-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I sowed a few types of spuds, Roosters, King Ed and another which i cannot remember. I am wondering as I have so much foilage would they be ready to pick. They were sowed on the 10th of April.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

My father sat queens in Feb, and he says that thet are still not ready (soon though).

I would dig a stalk, and see how they are. If they are very soapy, then they are not ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Not for months!
    First they will flower. when the flowers drop the tubers (potatoes in the ground) will mature (get dryer). They will still grow quite a bit after this stage as well.
    Rooster and King Ed are maincrop and will usually not be dug before September, though early crops in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 haze,

"I would dig a stalk, and see how they are. If they are very soapy"

What do you mean by soapy? Sorry novice grower here!! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Soapy is to do with the taste of the spud.
    Most people here prefer "floury" spuds. These are dry. Soapy is opposite.

Floury varieties like Queens are soapy until they mature. When they mature they grow a lot and get more floury.

Queens are a 2nd early variety and they mature in July though a feb sowing may be a little earlier. Don't even consider lifting a maincrop variety now. There'll be nothing more than marbles

Advertisement