Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Bumble) Bee nest timeframe?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi. A small bumble bee appears to have tunnelled a hole in a bank in my garden and is presumably nesting there. I was planning to reshape that part of the garden. Anyone know what timeframe it will be in use? Don't mind waiting till he/she/they are done.

Wasp nest being built onto some hawthorn a few meters away as well...out of the way, will leave them in peace.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I looked up a bumble bee book I have it mentions usually September, but books are guides so it may be October.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All I know is that the queens, which are the only members of the colony to survive and overwinter, hibernate in "the autumn", whenever that may be. I suspect it's determined in much the same way as other hibernating animals, i.e. a combination of shortening daylight hours and temperature, but I'd imagine around October would be the time you'd be looking at.

Of course, the queens also often hibernate in small holes in the ground (not the old nest), so you may run the risk that she may decide to do so in your rather convenient grassy bank, in which case you're stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Thank you both. Will leave it till October so.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

bump!

So I have a underground colony in Garden and it appears inactive now

i think buff-tailed bumble bee

wiki says
    In the early spring, the queen comes out of diapause and finds a suitable place to create her colony. Then she builds wax cells in which to lay her eggs which were fertilised the previous year. The eggs that hatch develop into female workers, and in time, the queen populates the colony, with workers feeding the young and performing other duties similar to honeybee workers. In temperate zones, young queens (gynes) leave the nest in the autumn and mate, often more than once, with males (drones) which are forcibly driven out of the colony.[37] The drones and workers die as the weather turns colder; the young queens feed intensively to build up stores of fat for the winter. They survive in a resting state (diapause), generally below ground, until the weather warms up in the spring.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblebee#Cuckoo_bumblebees

So did this nest die out early or could it have ended naturally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Keplar240B wrote: »
    bump!

So I have a underground colony in Garden and it appears inactive now

i think buff-tailed bumble bee

wiki says

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblebee#Cuckoo_bumblebees

So did this nest die out early or could it have ended naturally?

How do you know it is only recently unoccupied?

• Advertisement
Advertisement