Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAP 1 - New Course Notes

Options
  • 22-06-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everyone,
    I am new to boards.ie. I am due to sit the new CAP 1 course exams in September as an external student and to be honest I haven’t a clue where to start!
    I did a business and management degree in NUI maynooth and just finished in May. I was hoping to study for the CAP 1 course over the summer to make it easier for myself to pick up a training contract...
    If anyone can help me with direction I would really appreciate it. I also need to get my hands on the student notes for the year 2009 – 2010. I would be willing to pay for these.
    Thanks for your help.
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

I was also thinking of going down this route. I studies accounting as part of the BESS program and while I will receive some accounting exemptions I will not receive full CAP1s

Does it cost much to do yourself?
    Is it alot of work to do yourself? how much time would you need to prepare?
    Can you do them on your own without attending certain courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

kellyj77 wrote: »
    I was also thinking of going down this route. I studies accounting as part of the BESS program and while I will receive some accounting exemptions I will not receive full CAP1s

Does it cost much to do yourself?
    Is it alot of work to do yourself? how much time would you need to prepare?
    Can you do them on your own without attending certain courses?

If you did BESS i'm pretty certain you won't get any exemptions. Also, i thought you had to be working in a training institution to sit these exams. It might be possible to do ACCA but i thought it wasnt for ACA

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

You can sit the CAP1's as an external student check with the ICAI about exemptions. Think its around €75-€100 an exam. Books are available from the institute from their website. You'll need to do a computerised Double Entry Book keeping exam and tax forms exam for continuous assessment. Revision course application form up on student downloads.

our lecturer is running a 3 day optional course that the institute said would be needed to touch up in some areas in order to receive exemptions. We are getting exemptions in finance and financial accounting. Is there many more? and would it take long to prepare for these additional exams?

Can you just apply for each exam at 100 euro each and simply sit them without being in a firm or doing a certain course?

You'll need to double check your exemptions with the Institute and that the course qualifies 3 day course sounds strange. If you meet the exemptions you said you'll have to do Law, Tax(there's 10% CA here tax forms) and mgmt accounting. Manageable just have to register with institute as external candidate and pay the exam fees.

• Advertisement

our lecturer applied for the exemptions so they looked at the course. They said that was fine once we touched up on small things eg the double entry so thats what were doing the course in. there will be an exam at end and the institute said anyone that passes will get the exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lolrockett

Hey, I am considering this route as well but am finding it very confusing? Are there any courses for CAP 1 in Waterford?

No CAP1 course in Waterford. If you start in October the nearest course is Cork. Might be one in Carlow also but that is numbers dependent hasn't been on since 2007/2008 for CAP1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭UpAgainToday

No you do not need to attend lectures - apparently they are pretty easy in general
    I doubt the exams only cost €100 each - seems too cheap
    My ACA friend said you can do up to CAP 2 without being in a firm

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I just finished my degree and have a PG contract with with one of the Big Four to do my masters starting in September before starting work. I am doing management accounting and taxation CAP1's as an external candidate in September to have full CAP1 exemptions.

I already applied and received taxation booklets (not yet looked at) from the institute but contacting them is a bit of hassle I find; my emails don't deliever and they just put me on hold when I call.

Anyways it's €75 per exam as far as I can remember and the deadline is mid/end July with continuous assessment taking place for tax and financial reporting in August and exams in beg September. I will attach link for external entry form which exams all these details later, remind me if you want it and I don't post it.

I have not looked at studying for either yet but will be after next week-ish when I have my masters sorted. I have major fears for management accounting as I did not do so well in it in college and that was a number of years ago too. Not worried about tax as I worked in tax in the Big Four company that is sponsoring me for awhile so I have the basics at least plus I like law.

I don't have any notes from other students as of yet but would be welcome to any anyone has or I might try to source my own from past work colleagues soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement