Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32-No Friends-pineing for my 20's back

Options
  • 22-06-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

I turned 32 a few months back and I have to say I really am depressed with my life, most of my friends from college have settled down and are either married or about to be.

I really seem to pine for my 20's and my college years back, the reason being I don't think I have had the fulfilling time in college.

I went out alright and drank but when I went to college I was overweight(still am) I was very shy and naive and wasn't as socially experienced as most other people of my age at the time so I didn't have the usual fun with members of the opposite sex that most lads in college have and I feel is affecting me now and as I get older its going to affect me more

I really do feel that when you are in your 20's you have to let loose, go mad and get it out of your system or else you'll have a mid life crisis

I don't know what it is about me but I seem to live a very static life, things never change I do the same boring thing I work 9 to 5 in a job I really care much for and when the weekend comes I spend it alone either going to the cinema or watching dvds at home drinking beer

The first thing I need to is lose the weight, I really do close myself off from social situations because i'm so self conscious about how I look

The second thing I need to do is find out what I really want to do with my life whether that is going back to college or going travelling I need to do something I need to breakout make a change

I'm in a decent paying job but I can't be afraid to leave it even in these unsure time, after all

I am single
    No Kids
    No mortgage

so really the only person
    I need to worry about is me

I just need to get out there as start enjoying my life because i am not at the moment

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

you have no strings so get out there and travel..my mate is 35 and he is after heading off to Asia for 6 months followed by Oz. I wouldnt bother joining a gym, they are crap. maybe get a bike or joing one of those bootcamps in the parks around dublin, the weight will fly off you. if you have savings go for it now...32 is the new 22.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My main problem with doing this is that I am in debt, I still have 4 years to go on a loan im paying, Im paying 350 a month on this, and I also have to come up with 5k for orthodontist treatment I have just started

However im earning 40k a year so myabe I should be able to pay those things off sooner, im very bad with money

I really wouldn't agree with saying a gym is "crap". I'm fairly similar to youreslf OP. I'm 22, but have literally sat at a computer for the last five years. Your post is scarily similar to how I feel (except I'm an unemployed bum :o )

Anyway, I find going to the gym is great. That said, I do go at like, 6.30 and 7am (When they open) as I'm very self conscious and the gym is usually empty at those hours, so I have the place to myself to expirement and make a fool of myself.

As for friends, the usual recommendation is to join a group or club. I tried this using FAS courses to my advantage, but I find that once such a course ends, you fairly quickly lose contact with people unless you purposely try to meet up/text/talk/whatever with them.

Another good thing with gyms, is they do classes and such. For example, my gym is rolling out "Karate" classes, which I think is great. I, myself, would never have the balls to attend, but you seem more inclined to want to try new things and interact with people, so such a class could be good for you.

All down to yourself at the end of the day, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Good Advice

hey op:)

listen right you only live once get out there :) easier said than done i know but at least try...join some group or something, we all drift from friends but plenty more are to be made out there...my sis is in a similar situation and she is starting to meet up with old aquintances and made new friends at the gym...it can be done you dont deserve to be unhappy you only get one life and YOU get the power to control it OP :)

Advertisement