Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari ST anyone....?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Not really seen much about the Atari St having had a scroll down through a few pages.

Any the Holy Grail thread kind of inspired me to post this.

Anyway, did anyone here ever have one or play one...It was pretty primitive even at the time but I got hours and hours of play out of it in a friends house all them years ago.

From what I remember -

SpyHunter .......... and thats the only name of any of the games I remember!

There was one where you threw drinks across to people before they reached the end of the counter.
    Another one then was a spaceship game
    Then the game which I absolutely loved was a kung-fu platformer which I would love to play (probably get it on flash) again if I ever got the chance...one of the few games I only ever finished once and it was near impossible!

Also remember having a game called Bounty Hunter on a 2 sided tape and because it took 12 mins to load it must be brilliant...only problem was after about 9mins 12secs every time it stopped loading. Myself and my mate must have tried to load it 100 times over the course of a couple of years around the age of 9 or 10...we were as stubborn as each other but never got it too work!

So anyone else ever have one and what games do you remember?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I seen one in action once only. Altered Beast, many moons ago. At least im nearly sure it was an ST

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I used to have one years ago.No idea what ever happened to it though :(
    Ah so many memories.
    Bomb Jack
    Impossible Mission 2
    Space Harrier
    Ikari Warriors
    Rainbow Islands
    And of course my dreaded nemesis Treasure Island Dizzy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Carrier Command :pac:

carrier-command-titre.gif

From the moment it booted up and I saw that spalsh screen I knew we have moved onto something completely different, it just blew me away :) Changing vehicles, taking over islands, encountering the evil carrier for the first time was pretty memorable!

And then there was;
    944490_98786_front.jpg

Dragging a mates ST, monitor, cables etc around to my house for a weekend and hooking them up together! was another mind blower for us. Flying head to head just felt so 'Top Gun' at the time :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Amiga forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Amiga forever!

+1
    Did have an ST for a while and it was nice but the A500 just blew it away with the amount of games and stuff available at the time.

Wasnt the ST very popular for sound engineers iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Amiga forever!

Oh God, here we go again :D ST was faster anyway :P

Ah the Xbox/PS fanbois just don't have it the same do they. All the same games all largely the same performance :)

Bring back the schoolground speccy/c64 ST/Amiga wars :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haha, I only said that to start up some old school fanboy wars! Never had an ST or an Amiga but always wanted an A500.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I don't think your mate had an ST .it sounds like you're describing an Atari 8 bit ..probably an Atari 800xl . how do I know ? Well 2 reasons , firstly the games you describe sound a lot like ones on the 8 bit Atari. Spy hunter
    The drinks game was probably "tapper ". The Kung game was probably "Bruce Lee" .
    Secondly and more importantly ... The ST didn't have a tape drive!!
    I had(and still have) an Atari 800xl and they're a cracking machine;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

+1
    Did have an ST for a while and it was nice but the A500 just blew it away with the amount of games and stuff available at the time.

Wasnt the ST very popular for sound engineers iirc.

I think the likes of Fat Boy Slim used to use an Atari ST for sequencing/composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Bluehair wrote: »
    Carrier Command :pac:

carrier-command-titre.gif
    Remember playing this on the Amiga :) fun times. Never knew what I was doing though, think I was too young. Same for Falcon

Ah, looks like Carrier Command got updated;

A game which blew my mind on the Atari ST(E?) was Mercenary 3. Think the same game was on the Amiga but I never got to play it on the A500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I still play the greatest football game ever releasexd on the st. Kick Off2

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I stand corrected! After a bit of investigation it was an Atari XEGS and it was Bruce Lee the game I was thinking of. Another friend had an ST which is where the confusion came from, Bombjack and KickOff where the 2 games I remember from ST. Forgive my ignorance...now to find Bruce Lee in flash somewhere!

Advertisement