Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help!

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi really need some advice 21 year old female starting college in september it's really my dream spend the last three years being really unwell in and out of hospitals so this is my dream love the course and finally being healthy enough to pursue it have found some lovely convenient accomadation but i'm seriously worried about meeting people how much i need
    to budget for this and that meeting friends or even someone special. college life in general
    even what to wear. might sound silly but as i have said been out of the loop. mods this
    is really a personal issue for me might seem small but to me is a big issue, any advice
    on how to adapt, budgeting and college life in general? thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Budgeting - Decide what you are able to spend each week, then take away the essentials, rent, bills, food, then whats left you have for partying :)

I dont know what its like now, but when i went (2001-2005), college life in general wasnt not like school, there's no pressure to "fit in". Everyone is themselves and you will almost definatly make friends in your class because you all (most likely) dont know anyone else there, and you have similar interests. friendships just kind of happen really.

Dont worry about what to wear, you are all students and most likely poor so wear whatever's clean :)

Just go in with an open mind, and be yourself. Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP

I remember getting in to my dream course back in 1990 now :D I was 18 and absolutely terrified. I remember telling my mum that I'd changed my mind and wanted to stay at home. She told me I was going even if it meant she had to drag me. :D Of course she wouldnt have but she knew I'd regret it if I didnt go and it was all just down to nerves.

Remember: Most people there will be in the exact same position as you - scared, excited, lonely/missing home.

There are plenty of really great and cheap cookbooks out there about cooking on a budget, have a look around the second hand shops if needs be.

I am actually excited for you writing this. My college years were the best of my life. I finally had freedom, (I was in Oz and moved 11 hours from home) I met a load of wonderful new friends, first serious boyfriend and I was actually studying something I enjoyed.

Enjoy every minute of it - trust me it flies past. I was so upset when it all ended. It was the making of me.

Seriously, don't panic if you feel afraid - it's totally normal - most people do, they just don't let on ;)

Oh, and if here is anything like home they will have an orientation type week where there are activities for people starting - throw yourself in to them. You'll meet loads of new people all feeling the same at those.

Good luck and enjoy! ;):p

Sunflower and mackman thank you for that really needed to hear something positive
    about it parents don't really want me to go but know it's the right thing.
    it's great to hear your experiences were so good. love to hear more thanks a mill guys

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Good Advice

hey hun<3
    oh i was in a similar situation i didnt go to college straight after the leaving because of money reasons and didnt no what to do in a course etc...
    i waited until i was 20 to go to college and was a bit nervous starting as i took a couple years out anywaya was worried about the silly things,i say silly because i found out certain things i neednt of worried about like what to wear etc..
    its so easy going, money can be a struggle but thats student life..
    i didn let myself get out there that much which i regret and going into my 2nd year in sep im definatly gettng out there...thats my advice get out there and enjoy and be ready to love every min of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Everyone's in the same boat and even people with friends are keen to meet new people. Usually there are forced introductions (a bit embarrassing but everyone laughs about it). There's no dress code but looking nice in first year can only help your confidence!

I gave grinds during college which brought in a good bit of cash. Babysitting is great too, you can read and relax once they're in bed. I just forgot about nice clothes and shoes by the end I was so chronically poor. :D

Enjoy it!

Advertisement