Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps / Business listing search

Options
  • 21-06-2010 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have designed a website for a local restaurant/guesthouse in Ireland. I placed it on Google maps i.e. google places. It was up and running just fine, coming up in the first or second place in our small town.
    I had inserted the PIN number via SMS by google and verified the site as they requested. all was good.

One day the listing disappeared, I went into my google account and it requested a further PIN number which I requested and Google re sent me. I've inserted it again and it tells me the site is ACTIVE. But I cannot find the listing online via Google maps anymore... Any suggestions??

I usually searched Accommodation Cavan Town or Guesthouse Cavan town and it came up straight away! it's www.the bridgecavan.net

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

There seems to be a bigger problem out there! Check this thread in Google Places (the new name for Google Local Business - i.e. getting yourself on Google Maps)

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Places/thread?tid=442d99941f705d86&hl=en

I think we all should be keeping an eye on this!

sbcoco on 12/5 says it resolves itself, but took 20 days. Mind you Google have not participated in this thread!

Let us know if your business reappears!!

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭dotcom13

Hi Paul,

I had a look at a longer similar thread on a Google page after I posted the thread. It's very frustrating, I've just built a website for a business and they want it up on Google maps... It was up for about 2-3 weeks and they got good business from it!

I mean what can you say to your client? it's disappeared and Google wont tell us why?

It's a disgrace on Google's behalf not to give direction in these cases, it's not as if we're trying to find out how to get up the rankings or anything, just want out listing restored!!!

Here's hoping something changes soon!
    Thanks for the link Paul...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I did a search for a keyphrase here and it turns up your client (a bookmark I'd keep!!)

BUT - whilst the telephone numbers are the same - the one your site and one on the map listings results, the physical addresses are completely different for both!!!

Naturally I don't know what the history of that account is - but it looks like there are two address in the wild for the same premises. One on your site and one on the Google map listing.

Log on to your web tools and go to "Going Places" ans see if there is anything in the account that would give you a hint as to where the discrepancies in the addresses are.

You will have to rectify that one way or the other as it has to be leading to some confusion.

Thanks Blue4ever, I realise what you are saying, I assume that listing you see is the one put up by people renting the premsis a few years back.

How do I get rid of that listing on maps?

Thanks for the comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I sent you a PM - sorry so late!!

• Advertisement

thanks for your replies, the listing has bow popped back on to google maps!
    I'm very confused now.

search google for B&B Cavan Town

you are looking for www.thebridgecavan.net

Would love to know other peoples experience in finding it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a business listing up there too, if I search for it it pops up but when I go into cities I can see businesses pop up automatically as your going down the street. Does anyone know if this is just a city thing or is there a setting I need to change to make it pop up automatically without searching for it?

Advertisement