Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding buying an iphone

Options
  • 21-06-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Hope this is ok, but I'm mightily confused. My Sony Ericsson phone died there this evening, and I'm thinking of buying an iphone if I can get one cheap enough. Budget wise I'm probably looking at €200 absolute MAXIMUM, so I dunno if it's even possible.

I used my SE for everything - camera, video recording, sound recording, as well as being an MP3 player too. I've recently started driving and would love a SatNav but I'm wonder if I can kill two birds with one stone with an iphone?

Any advice at all would be excellent. I'm a prepay Meteor customer, so switching to O2 or Vodafone or even to billpay isn't an option sadly.

Hope you can help! :)

Thank you,

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Jeez, €200 is tight enough budget for an iPhone. You might pick up a second hand 3G on eBay for that kind of money, otherwise no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jeez, €200 is tight enough budget for an iPhone. You might pick up a second hand 3G on eBay for that kind of money, otherwise no hope.

Aye, that's what I'm aiming for. If I get one that's jailbroken, can I use it with a Meteor SIM? And if I buy one that's locked to O2, can that be unlocked or jailbroken to use a Meteor SIM?

Also, roughly how much is it to get unlocked?

Thanks very much for the reply mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Jailbreaking if different to unlocking. Jailbreaking lets you used unauthorized apps on the phone, unlocking lets you use any simcard. So yeah, if you get an unlocked one, you can use you meteor card.

Maybe check if any of the lads on here who are going up to Belfast to coolect their new iPhones on Thursday are selling their old one.

There's a place in town (Dublin) called FMMobiles and I think they unlock them for bout 20 quid, it's 15 for a normal phone but think iPhone is dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Excellent, thanks again. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

O2 and Apple are legitimately unlocking iPhones now so i'd look out for a good quality 3G for that price.

myself and my girlfriend are "passing down" 2 iPhone 3G's when the new iPhone4 gets released and you would not believe the amount of people who are interested in buying one, just ANY iPhone, just to say they have one.

Maybe apple missed a trick by selling a budget iPhone 3G on PAYG for about 250euro, but I guess they like to keep the thing a little *cough* exclusive (even if it is the fastest selling phone or whatever <insert real stat here>)

• Advertisement
Advertisement