Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximising acceptance chances.

Options
  • 21-06-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I've applied for a CASLT [Applied Science and Lab Technique] PLC at St. John's FEC in Cork.
    Besides having done quite atrociously in my Leaving, I'd actually really like to get a grasp of chemistry and physics to supplement my biology before heading off to college proper.
    This course seems to cover all the above, and even throws in some interesting electives.

Now, I understand that the interview plays at least some role in the admissions process [although I'm not sure how much depends on your results]..
    I have a pretty deep interest in the biological side of science [probably got in the region of a low B or a high C in my Leaving Cert Biology. Fingers crossed, in any case].

I plan on messing about my microscopes this summer, sketching amoeba and mosses and so forth, dabbling in plant classification [dad used to teach science, so I guess I've caught that bug..]. Would bringing in any of this stuff to the interview help at all?

I really do have an enthusiasm for the subject, and I'd hate to be let down by my LC results..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would take your drawings etc with you, but wait to see is it appropriate to offer them. Usually that kind of interest is a big bonus, but every FE has their own way of interviewing and I don't know how much emphasis will be on leaving results. It should tell you on the website what the requiremtns are.

I suggest you find out as much as you can about the course in Cork, so that you can make relevant remarks and show that you have done your research. Make sure any forms you are asked to bring in are correctly and tidily completed (fill in a photocopy first to make sure you know all the answers). Dress tidily and be organised - put your paperwork in a folder, doesn't have to be fancy, just looks organised. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I just completed a fetac in art portfolio so I can't give you specific advice but from helping at my plcs open day the main thing they advised applicants was to show passion for your area of interest. things like evident of individual research and work will help to show this.
    prepare questions they might ask you,
    Where would you like to be this time next year? (find out about courses you could do here or abroad in an area that interests you)

Maybe keep the drawings in a notebook along with notes and further research? If by the interview you've a decent sized notebook or two it'll show a interest and drive to work that wasn't placed on you within your LC studies.

Advertisement