Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitted Kitchen - remove temporarily

Options
  • 21-06-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Our small kitchen contains a number of fitted presses as well as the usual hardware, e.g. washing machine, cooker, etc.

Would it be possible to remove everything temporarily while a new tiled floor is laid down?

I am wondering how easy it would be to take out the fitted kitchen in such a way as to return it in its original condition after the floor is tiled.

This may seem like a good opportunity to get a new fitted kitchen but, apart from the cost, the existing presses are in good nick and if they can be saved I'd like to keep them.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I would not touch the kitchen and buy enough tiles that if/when you replace the kitchen you would have enough tiles to tile the area under the fitted kitchen presses.

You could wreck the kitchen doing this. I'd steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Simple job if you are handy with your hands take plenty of pictures to help yourself refitting it you will have to recut the kicker by the tickness off the tile and bed under them

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

You could wreck the kitchen doing this. I'd steer clear.
    Carpenter wrote: »
    Simple job if you are handy with your hands

Thanks for the advice. I am not particularly skilled so maybe an experienced fitter could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Where are you based

Carpenter wrote: »
    Where are you based

South county Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

just remove the kicker board from the bottom of the presses the kitchen presses will have adjustable leg under it if you want to tile under presses so that you can change kitchen at a later date you can adjust the legs by hand they just screw up or down tile under a couple of legs at a time wait to harden and then screw down the leg you will have to cut the kicker board to allow for the extra height of the tile

dathi wrote: »
    just remove the kicker board from the bottom of the presses the kitchen presses will have adjustable leg under it if you want to tile under presses so that you can change kitchen at a later date you can adjust the legs by hand they just screw up or down tile under a couple of legs at a time wait to harden and then screw down the leg you will have to cut the kicker board to allow for the extra height of the tile

Are you saying that I could tile under the fitted presses without actually removing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

it will depend on the size of the tile but ye you could but you shouldnt have to unless you are going to change the footprint of your kitchen,if you are just thinking of getting new presses and keeping the layout as it is then you have nothing to worry about as kitchen presses come in standard sizes and the new ones will cover the same area but to make sure take of the kicker board and tile under presses a small bit

OK thanks Dathi.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

Yes, the best solution is to remove the kick board and get the tiler to tile up to the kitchen unit legs.

You will also have to pull out the appliances and tile in underneath them so that if you need to pull them out again they won't be catching in the lip of the tile. This is normal practice when re-tiling a kitchen where there is a kitchen already fitted.

I would definitely not remove the kitchen.

• Advertisement

Since posting the original query we've decided on a new kitchen. So we'll get the tiles down when the room has been completely emptied and before the new kitchen is installed.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

Hi Sanguine Fan,

That's great that you are changing your kitchen. I will PM you my website so that you can have a look at photo galleries to get inspiration and reads lots of tips and advice on design and planning. You can also find a list of kitchen suppliers in your county.

Remember that you can still just tile into the kitchen unit legs to save on the cost of tiles. Just get your kitchen supplier to mark where the legs will finish and you can tile up to that point. Just remember to always tile under freestanding appliances.

Best of luck and let us know how it all goes.

Advertisement