Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions

Options
  • 21-06-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

planted onions on March 17th and due to be harvest in August.

Looking at them lately alot of the leaves are bending over and some of the onions are showing above the ground, is this normal?

Leaves are perfectly green

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I have the very same issue, so hopefully this is the norm!Planted around mid March also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

onions showing above ground is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

i believe this is ok.
    they will be able to expand width wise due to being on the surface.
    i put mine down too deep so they are not showing.

when the leaves start to die twist them and bend them over and leave them in for abit longer, then take them out of the ground and dry them.

i think myself after planting onions this year that shallots would be more beneficial to use in future, as you gain more from the initial seeds.
    as one onion seed/buld = one onion
    one shallot seed/bulb = many shallots.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Shallots for early summer use, (mine are ready now), onions for later and Leeks over the winter.

That way you avoid having prolonged storage when alliums tend to get soggy on me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Onions do little growing after summer soltice.
    i've heard opinion not to twist the leaves as suggested by rameire. We don't

• Advertisement
Advertisement