Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Issue

Options
  • 21-06-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

Well, and issue of sorts.

In the office, I have a laserjet printer, with a USB B (typical printer) connection. The problem is, we have it shared over the network from the PC its plugged into - but this obviously requires this PC to be turned on.

What I was wondering was, is there any type of USB hub/switch, that I could connect the printer to, then connect 3/4 PC's to, to allow any of the machines use this printer? I've seen them with 2 PC connections alright, but not 4.

I was wondering, as USB is bi-directional, would plugging the printer into a hub, then each PC to that hub allow each PC connect to the printer? Its something I've never tried before...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Maybe something like that?
    http://www.usbgear.net/item_88.html

EDIT:
    I was wondering, as USB is bi-directional, would plugging the printer into a hub, then each PC to that hub allow each PC connect to the printer? Its something I've never tried before...

OK, that I don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Oink wrote: »

Thanks, that looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Bloomin' expensive for what it is though eh?

I saw this:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25002&sid=14&cid=108&scid=5317

Which would do the job. (I know it switches between which PC is connected, but the printer is then shared over the network, so it doesn;t really matter which PC its connected to).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

JUst plugging in the printer to a hub won't work. You'll need a print server, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WPS54GU2-Wireless-G-Print-Server/dp/B0000E658Q

morgana wrote: »
    JUst plugging in the printer to a hub won't work. You'll need a print server, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WPS54GU2-Wireless-G-Print-Server/dp/B0000E658Q

Now something like that would be perfect, could just plug the printer into it, and not worry about any extra cables.... hmm...

Just to update, I went and picked up a wireless print server.

Hopefully it does the trick, I'll post back with results.

I work in town, so just picked up this one:

Edimax 2 port Wireless Print Server / NAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

My advice is to use a wired connection if you can as then you have fewer variables to check if something stops working. You can always switch to WiFi when you have it up and running.

MC

My advice is to use a wired connection if you can as then you have fewer variables to check if something stops working. You can always switch to WiFi when you have it up and running.

MC

Well that was partly the reason I got that particular one. I can connect it to our network via ethernet, giving that option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

YEah print servers arent cheap. Neither are NAS servers.

Personally I've come to the conclusion to just by a $300 studio PC, its no bigger than a Wii, connects to TV with HDMI and runs the printer, acts as a NAS and even runs my VOIP phone.

Well, bought the print server, set it up and - the effing printer won't print through it.

Its seems (after extensive head scratching) that no Canon LBP printers work on print servers.

I have seen the same issue on the web with Canon LBP printers and numerous print servers.

Bit stupid. I would have though the print server would mimic a host PC, allowing the printer to be served over the network. But no, the printer doesn't support the port configs necessary.

Grr........

Looks like I'm back to the USB switch idea, or setting up a tiny PC to serve the printer from.

So annoying!

Better to dump the printer and get one with an inbuilt lan connection, that Canon (can you post the model number?) looks like a pain to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Well, bought the print server, set it up and - the effing printer won't print through it.

Its seems (after extensive head scratching) that no Canon LBP printers work on print servers.

I have seen the same issue on the web with Canon LBP printers and numerous print servers.

Bit stupid. I would have though the print server would mimic a host PC, allowing the printer to be served over the network. But no, the printer doesn't support the port configs necessary.

Grr........

Looks like I'm back to the USB switch idea, or setting up a tiny PC to serve the printer from.

So annoying!

Do you have the driver on all the computers?

The issue is the Canon is a Win Printer, a printer with reduced ability due to the cheap dimwits at Canon

The issue is the Canon is a Win Printer, a printer with reduced ability due to the cheap dimwits at Canon

Yeah its got nothing to do with drivers.

I only tested on the PC I did the installation on. Can find the printer in the directory alright, but it just wont print due to only supporting win / raw.

Its a Canon LBP 2900. Piece of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Yeah its got nothing to do with drivers.

I only tested on the PC I did the installation on. Can find the printer in the directory alright, but it just wont print due to only supporting win / raw.

Its a Canon LBP 2900. Piece of sh1t.
    http://www.axis.com/products/axis_1650/index.htm

bette wrote: »

Good find, (its listed on the end of the printers info page on the Canon website) although Axis stuff usually isn't cheap so it might not be a viable solution.

Advertisement