Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a trimmer/brush cutter for my garden

Options
  • 21-06-2010 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, I hope you can help me.

I've a normal size garden behind my house and haven't cut or mown the grass for more than six months now. The grass/weeds are more than one metre long.

I need to buy a tool to cut it. I've a lawnmower, but that won't work for the grass.

What should I use? A trimmer or brush cutter?

Can someone recommend a quality one?

I can spend b/w £100 to £200. I live in south east London

Thanks All

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

You would be better off renting one IMO if its going to be used for this job once and then you keep on top of mowing the grass. I don't think you will get a great one in that price range but seeing as your in the UK you should have access to a good 2nd hand market. If you rent you will get a commercial grade machine that will zip through your work in no time and you won't have to worry about maintaining it and storage.If the job is big you can get weekend and weekly rates. Well from my own experience thats what i would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chukwe

Thanks for your reply.

What do I need to rent? Trimmer or Brush Cutter?

Where can I rent one in London, uk?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

If its that overgrown get a brush cutter, same machine as a strimmer just a different head.
    Use google to find hire shops in your area. HSS hire is the last place i rented but shop around.

Thanks Padi89,

After doing a google, I found HSS Hire to be the cheapest at £29 per day & £36 for the weekend.

I'll probably hire for a day on Friday or Saturday.

What your opinion this Ryobi tool?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-Touch-Start-Brush-Cutter/dp/B001OXDI2Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1277115168&sr=8-3

Do you think is I good one? I'm just weighing up my options before the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I use that Ryobi one on a acre site that regulary overgrows and its in its second season now with no real issues. If your garden is just grass then I would not use a bushcutter as its designed for branbles and other creppers. The standard line strimmer is fine for grasses.

The easy start is great however it can be a pain to restart the engine if its still very hot.

The Ryobi "expand it" system is very good and I have a mini chainsaw attachement, rotavator and Hover mower attachment which works great.

• Advertisement

I had a line trimmer like four year ago which I bought at B&Q.

The line kept every few seconds of use & I got feed up and threw it away.

Does the Ryobi Line Trimmer cut regularly?

Is the TouchStart Ryobi models better than the easy start?

Leadership wrote:
    I use that Ryobi one on a acre site that regulary overgrows and its in its second season now with no real issues. If your garden is just grass then I would not use a bushcutter as its designed for branbles and other creppers. The standard line strimmer is fine for grasses.

The easy start is great however it can be a pain to restart the engine if its still very hot.

The Ryobi "expand it" system is very good and I have a mini chainsaw attachement, rotavator and Hover mower attachment which works great.

Will the electric and battery line trimmer cut overgrown grass as a petrol line trimmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Chukwe wrote: »
    I had a line trimmer like four year ago which I bought at B&Q.

The line kept every few seconds of use & I got feed up and threw it away.

Does the Ryobi Line Trimmer cut regularly?

Is the TouchStart Ryobi models better than the easy start?

Touch start have a 12volt battery, so by just pushing a button they start (if the battery is charged;)) The battery will also add a little weight to the Shredder. Personally I didn't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I recently got the ryobi touch start line trimmer as per link below
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-30Cc-Touch-Start-Trimmer/dp/B001OXH1G8/ref=pd_cp_diy_1

If you are only going to be using this once then hiring is an excellent option, however if you feel you will need to trim this on a regular basis I would recommend the above as it is surprisingly powerful and extremely easy to start and work with.

As highlighted the one downside is the additional weight that the 12.2v battery adds to the system.

Regards
    Tommy

tommycahir wrote: »
    I recently got the ryobi touch start line trimmer as per link below
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-30Cc-Touch-Start-Trimmer/dp/B001OXH1G8/ref=pd_cp_diy_1

If you are only going to be using this once then hiring is an excellent option, however if you feel you will need to trim this on a regular basis I would recommend the above as it is surprisingly powerful and extremely easy to start and work with.

As highlighted the one downside is the additional weight that the 12.2v battery adds to the system.

Regards
    Tommy

I'm still weighing up my options as to hire or buy. Hiring may cost me aroung £40, but buying the cordless will cost around £70 if the cordless is as good as the petrol trimmers.

A lot of people on reviews complain about the mess of petrol trimmer and maintenance.

If the cheap battery cordless are as good as the petrol trimmers then I might buy one from B&Q otherwise I'll hire

• Advertisement
Advertisement