Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need the public opinion on my class system

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

For my degree in TCD I'm working on the class system in Ireland and this is what I have found so far:

1 - Protestant ascendancy class planter - the name say's it all! these make up the majority of west-brits, and are usually found in south east dublin, they generally only fraternize with own class and will rarely go out of there way to help others, A prime example is Sean Mackey.

2 - Country folk - Often referred to as "fenian rabble", since the advent of the motorised vehicle they come to the city. in there droves, in order to make a better life for themselves by working in the houses/workplace of the gentry, They are a friendly bunch who are known to enjoy a night of banter and drink with men of all creeds.As a highly political bunch and naturally clash with the unionist gentry, however as of late tension has eased between the groups, for further info & pictures >>here

3 - Peasants - This is a term used to sum up the remainder of the dublin population, they spend there days maintaining the lives of others in order to make a few coppers for food etc. Alcoholisim is rife among this breed and they are commonly found brawling over trivial concerns. The ultimate life goal is to save enough coppers in order to by a ferry ticket to America, there they can start a new life and rise above their station.
    With the recent influx of money into the country this group has undergone a period of economic boom, however this is also matched with the growing threat of workplace competition with chinese/ far eastern peasants.
    The journey to the Americas if quite troublesome
    Peasents are noted in society fo there low-grade of food
    Common peasant stylings.

My lecture said it was fantastic and very true , but what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I think your lecturer was being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

For my degree in TCD I'm working on the class system in Ireland and this is what I have found so far:

No your feckin not, your arse'n around like the rest of the bloddy students!

Got get a real Job!!!

/feckin students:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Locked until the forum mods get to look at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

And it will be staying locked too. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement