Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 3GS unlocking

Options
  • 21-06-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi

I got a new Iphone 3gs, its locked to O2 and was wondering where I can bring it to get it unlocked so I can use my meteor sim.

I would try unlocking it myself but don't feel comfortable enough since its only new and I'm not the greatest with doing stuff like thi

thanks for your help guys

p.s sorry if this has been answered before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dylanmc111 wrote: »

p.s sorry if this has been answered before

Yep, in the sticky at the top
    of the page. Perhaps you should have a read through it. It'll probably help you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I cant request to get it unlocked cause I havent been with O2

Can someone recommend me a place where I can bring it and get it unlocked today in Dublin

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

That's not the sticky I was referring to, try the one above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ya can't get it unlocked. It has to be done through apple unless ya jailbreak

I read through the sticky and that seems a bit complicated for myself, I'd rather just pay to get it "jailbreaked"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I read through the sticky and that seems a bit complicated for myself, I'd rather just pay to get it "jailbreaked"

If the phone is locked to O2 then ring them before you do anything. You may be entitled to an official unlock. If the phone was on PAYG and you or the previous owner topped up by €150 + they will unlock it for you. If it was/is on bill pay you should also be able to get an official unlock.
    Either ring them on 1909 or PM Talk2O2: Daryll (third sticky at the top of this page).

the phone is locked to O2 PayG

I do have a O2 PayG account from yrs back, I still have the sim. could I use that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

the phone is locked to O2 PayG

I do have a O2 PayG account from yrs back, I still have the sim. could I use that?

Having an old O2 sim is not relevant here. It all depends on the status of the PAYG account that was originally linked to the phone. Ring them 1909 or better still PM Daryll - only O2 can answer your questions.

Just rang O2 there guys, they said that O2 is inactive, so that means I'm not eligible for the unlock.

is there anywhere I can go today so I can get my meteor sim card to work, I wish I wasnt useless with technology:(

What firmware is it on at the moment

• Advertisement

it says 3.1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

it says 3.1.3

Then just at the moment there is no unlock available, a newer version of the apple os ios 4 is due to be released.

When the new version of the Apple OS is released you will be able to jailbreak and unlock your phone.

When a new unlock is released by the dev team or Geohot for 4.0 and 3.1.3

There no unlock for 3.1.3 yet. Jailbreak and unlock are different things. The only way to do it is pay o2 and wait for the unlock through itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Fionagus wrote: »
    Having an old O2 sim is not relevant here. It all depends on the status of the PAYG account that was originally linked to the phone. Ring them 1909 or better still PM Daryll - only O2 can answer your questions.

not strictly true. If the old 02 sim is still active, and you have topped it up over 150 , ring them and tell them you got a present of a pay and go iPhone but you never activated the sim that came with it, as you already had an 02 sim yourself which you have been using in this phone...

the 02 rep may just check your old no. and if it's been topped up by 150, issue you the unlock, or if they are more sticky, they will check the purchase date of the iphone and check how much you have topped up the old no. since the purchase date of the iphone...

Worth a try...

thank you all for your help and patience

My grandad has a O2 active account, he uses it on a daily basis, could I ring using his details? get the phone unlocked, put my Meteor sim in it then give him back his O2 sim for his phone?

My friend suggests going into town (Dublin city centre) to get it unlocked on Moore street but I'm not so sure about it:confused: he got his done there a while back for 30euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

cojomo2 wrote: »
    not strictly true. If the old 02 sim is still active, and you have topped it up over 150 , ring them and tell them you got a present of a pay and go iPhone but you never activated the sim that came with it, as you already had an 02 sim yourself which you have been using in this phone...

the 02 rep may just check your old no. and if it's been topped up by 150, issue you the unlock, or if they are more sticky, they will check the purchase date of the iphone and check how much you have topped up the old no. since the purchase date of the iphone...

Worth a try...

I was thinking that might work as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

thank you all for your help and patience

My grandad has a O2 active account, he uses it on a daily basis, could I ring using his details? get the phone unlocked, put my Meteor sim in it then give him back his O2 sim for his phone?

Yeah that should work fine.
    My friend suggests going into town (Dublin city centre) to get it unlocked on Moore street but I'm not so sure about it:confused: he got his done there a while back for 30euros.

This is just a jailbreak and unlock...easy to do yourself, but will prob be of no use at the moment assuming you have the most up to date software on your device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Unlock should be out pretty soon , if you are smart enough to register an post on here unlocking an iPhone will be no problem to you .

I reckon I could give a try to jailbreak it and unlock it if someone would kindly send me a link to a step by step process

Does anyone know when the unlock will be out?

I seen some sites offering a serivce where u pay similiar to iphone worldwide, anyone know anythin bout them?

unlock it out now , tutorials to follow soon i imagine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's simple to unlock, but none of the user friendly tools are out to actually jailbreak your iphone so you can't really use the unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

And here you go

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Website seems to be slow though.....everyone tryin to access it I suppose :D:

Reganovski wrote: »
    And here you go

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Website seems to be slow though.....everyone tryin to access it I suppose :D:
    Cheers man , won't load up though servers must be going mad .

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

Cheers man , won't load up though servers must be going mad .

works perfectly!! I'm using it at the moment!! Happy meteor customer!!!

costacurta wrote: »
    works perfectly!! I'm using it at the moment!! Happy meteor customer!!!

What are the steps because I still cant see it.

I'm on 3.1.2. unlocked and jailbroken. I have updated Ultrasnow on Cydia....do I hold down shift and click restore and then hit the new iOS4 saved on my desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

What are the steps because I still cant see it.

I'm on 3.1.2. unlocked and jailbroken. I have updated Ultrasnow on Cydia....do I hold down shift and click restore and then hit the new iOS4 saved on my desktop?

I'm on 3.1.3 with the latest baseband. They recomend on iclarified not to update the software yet! But I'm just happy to be back on meteor

costacurta wrote: »
    I'm on 3.1.3 with the latest baseband. They recomend on iclarified not to update the software yet! But I'm just happy to be back on meteor

Sorry have you updated to iOS4? If so, is what I'm saying what you did?

this all seems very tricky for a novice:(

can anyone simplify any of this?

this all seems very tricky for a novice:(

can anyone simplify any of this?
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9202 follow that then follow this http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253, its not hard at all like .
    and its nearly impossible to brick an iphone 3gs so dont worry about that if anythin goes wrong a restore through itunes will fix it .

• Advertisement

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9202 follow that then follow this http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253, its not hard at all like .
    and its nearly impossible to brick an iphone 3gs so dont worry about that if anythin goes wrong a restore through itunes will fix it .

At what point do you update to 4.0 using itunes?
    Are the steps as follows for someone like me that has their phone jailbroken and currently unlocked?

1. Update the phone by downloading the iOS4 onto your desktop. Click on shift and then restore and find the new software
    2. When its finished, opened Cydia and download Ultrasnow again.
    3. And hey presto, unlocked iPhone on iOS4

Advertisement