Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy on my home. Good Idea?

Options
  • 20-06-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I talked to the next door neighbor and she has agreed to let me grow ivy on the front.
    But before I do so, I want to pick your brains on it. Is it a good idea. We live in a joined town house.

4 year old house.

I really like the look of ivy on a house . But what are the cons. I do enjoy gardening . next door does not. I would have to maintain it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not, since you are looking for an opinion. We have some on a wall near a corner of the house, and it has to be kept under control as it covers a door if it gets onto the house. When you pull it off though it makes very permanent, untidy marks on the wall.

I have seen it said that ivy will not significantly damage a new wall, only one that is damaged. However it is invasive and on balance I would say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

A big no from me.
    I had to try and remove this from my back wall as it was taking over everything & it was hellish and still peeps through the wall now and again as you just cannot get rid of the thing.

And as was said in the previous post it leaves awful marks behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Yeah. I think I will do some else instead. I would like a climber . I could use a lattice .

Any suggestions. The sun will not shine on this wall. But is still warm.

Virginia creeper looks nicer than ivy, though it is deciduous - loses leaves in winter. It will mark a wall a bit but doesn't do damage. Pyracantha will grow up with a bit of strong support - wires rather than trellis. Honeysuckle is nice but some varieties have a tendency to disease. Climbing rose. Clematis - a montana is very vigorous and would need strong support, the summer flowering ones are easy to manage. It depends a bit on which direction your wall faces/does it get morning or evening sun, and what you are planting in, is there soil accessible?

looksee wrote: »
    Virginia creeper looks nicer than ivy, though it is deciduous - loses leaves in winter. It will mark a wall a bit but doesn't do damage. Pyracantha will grow up with a bit of strong support - wires rather than trellis. Honeysuckle is nice but some varieties have a tendency to disease. Climbing rose. Clematis - a montana is very vigorous and would need strong support, the summer flowering ones are easy to manage. It depends a bit on which direction your wall faces/does it get morning or evening sun, and what you are planting in, is there soil accessible?
    jp6wowvz.jpeg
    qVrDxi14.jpeg
    my house is on the right. I want something in the center part, between the two windows.. there is a bed there .

its gets 3 hours evening sun.

I think a green/red leaf plant on a lattice in the center. 5 years would have the whole front of both houses covered.

• Advertisement

Thats a very nice house and I certainly would not put ivy on it. I would be doubtful about putting anything vigorous on it - like virginia creeper or honeysuckle - because it is going to get into the guttering and under that roof. Go for something manageable on a trellis, like clematis or a rose - or both, they look nice growing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend a nice climbing rose.

I'm plagued by next door's ivy, it's terrible stuff.

yeah. going to scrap the ivy idea. I had already bought it, so I planted it to creep over the garden shed , well away from the house.

Off to B&Q. .

cheers folk (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Big no to anything as vigourous as ivy or virginia creeper that will head up and reach roof level very quickly. Then you have problems with damage to roof and providing furry friends easy access to roof space, you have been warned:eek:

Advertisement