Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation Costs Terrace House - advise pls

Options
  • 20-06-2010 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,
    I have recently purchased a 2 bed terrace house (750sqft) that requires renovation. I need some advise from others who know the estimated cost for builders to renovate houses - this is all new to me!!!

Double Gaze Windows
    New Front Door
    New Internal Doors
    New Bathroom & Tiles
    Break Wall between lounge rooms
    Re-wire
    Upgrade Gas Heating boiler and new radiators (7)
    Attic insulatation.
    Kitchen insulation
    Block old kitchen back door
    New Kitchen Door & Window
    Velux Winow
    Repair Kitchen ceiling and roof
    Prepare walls for painting.
    Upgrade Plumbing for new washing machine, sink, showers etc.

The kitchen and floors (wooden & tiles) and painting will be done separately.

Any advise or guidance on prices would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

my advise would be just to get 3 or more different builders in to price the works for you. its next to near impossible to give any sort of indication on price with just what is mentioned above. cost per m2 wouldnt really apply on individual jobs like that either. just get decent builders and make sure they know what they are doing and check references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Agree with bruschi, no way to guage costs at the moment. 3 builder route is the best.

Also, as you say you dont have a clue, I would advise that you either go round your house and write down all that needs to be done or get an AT to survey and do a drawing, detailing agreed specs. Not that they would;), but you dont want a builder coming back say "ah now there missus, you never said that.. That will be €€€€€€ extra".

For the cost of an AT or similar, you could end up saving a small fortune at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smokeyjoe321

Hi KD

You need to be a bit more detailed with your spec when getting your quotes that way you can make a more informed decision on the prices you receive from your builders
    Double Gaze Windows timber or PVC
    New Front Door again timber or PVC
    New Internal Doors solid hardwood, flush doors,etc
    New Bathroom & Tiles what type of suite, type of tiles
    Break Wall between lounge rooms
    Re-wire how many electrical points, lights, type of fittings, chrome, brushed steel etc
    Upgrade Gas Heating boiler and new radiators (7)
    Attic insulatation.
    Kitchen insulation insulation thickness
    Block old kitchen back door
    New Kitchen Door & Window
    Velux Winow size of window (is it velux or some other cheaper brand)
    Repair Kitchen ceiling and roof
    Prepare walls for painting.
    Upgrade Plumbing for new washing machine, sink, showers etc.

If you provide more detail you know exactly what you getting

Advertisement