Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LONG KESH HARP AND EMBROIDERY

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hi All

As the title says I have a Harp and Embroidered Linen Hankchiefs which were made in Long Kesh prison in 1981 at home which belonged to my dad who has now passed away

Does anyone know what I can do with theses now maybe some museum that would take them south or north of the border

Any suggestions would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Do you not have any interest in keeping them?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There is a republican museum in belfast (which has been mentioned on this form a few times) that might be interested in them. You could also talk to Collins Barracks Military museum in Dublin or even the Imperial War Museum in London which has a Northern Ireland/Republican display which already contains some minor republican prisoner artwork (including a decorative embroidered M16 shoulder strap).

The only thing I would say is a lot of people donate to museums which then place the items in storage - or even sell them.

Not saying that the republican/Collins/IWM museums would do that but it is an unfortunate feature of people donating family items to military museums in other countries so it is something to be aware of & if I were you I would make it a condition of donation if thats the choice you make. Also some militaria collectors and dealers say they will accept the items for a private museum which they have - then after a few months sell them on too. I'd be interested in seeing them though as would others so you might want to put some pics on the rec-antiques-militaria forum on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Morlar wrote: »
    There is a republican museum in belfast (which has been mentioned on this form a few times) that might be interested in them. You could also talk to Collins Barracks Military museum in Dublin or even the Imperial War Museum in London which has a Northern Ireland/Republican display which already contains some minor republican prisoner artwork (including a decorative embroidered M16 shoulder strap).

The only thing I would say is a lot of people donate to museums which then place the items in storage - or even sell them.

Not saying that the republican/Collins/IWM museums would do that but it is an unfortunate feature of people donating family items to military museums in other countries so it is something to be aware of & if I were you I would make it a condition of donation if thats the choice you make. Also some militaria collectors and dealers say they will accept the items for a private museum which they have - then after a few months sell them on too. I'd be interested in seeing them though as would others so you might want to put some pics on the rec-antiques-militaria forum on boards.

I will do no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

WIZE wrote: »
    Hi All

As the title says I have a Harp and Embroidered Linen Hankchiefs which were made in Long Kesh prison in 1981 at home which belonged to my dad who has now passed away

Does anyone know what I can do with theses now maybe some museum that would take them south or north of the border

Any suggestions would be great

i was given something similar by an old friend about 10 years ago, a hanky with 2 m16 rifles and tri-colours crossed with about 30 or 40 signatures of IRA prisonners on it one is a TD now, i hand it framed and it looks good.

it may not appeal to everybody but its part of irish history weather some like it or not.

lots of these were done to raise money for prisoners and similar ones may have slight differences in which make them unique in a way. if i was you i would keep them but , fair play to you, you are willing to give them away for everybody to see rather than be in a box at home .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gilbie

if still don't know what to do with . . . mail, i'm collecting those crafts and expose them with my collection on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

My da was given a carved wooden plaque by inmates in one of the huts in Long Kesh as a thank-you for his efforts in publicising the plight of internees. The front shows a pair of hands in manacles, with the chain between them broken. A couple of interesting signatures on the back of it - Alec Maskey is one and an "S. Ó Súileabhan" who I'm fairly sure is Jim Sullivan, 2IC of the Officials in Belfast at the time.

He also has a bootleg LP of republican ballads which was suppsedly recorded inside Long Kesh, can't remember what it's called. I vaguely recall being surprised that "The Men Behind The Wire" ISN'T one of the songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gilbie

if you are ever interested, part of my collection is on line at http://irishpoliticalprisoners.blogspot.com/

Advertisement