Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another suggest a car thread

Options
  • 20-06-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

So we sold herselfs 04 MINI Cabrio today privately, and she's in need of a replacement motor. She's leaning towards a normal MINI hatch, but I'm trying to give her a few options to pick from.

Obvious choices that spring to mind would be the Fiat 500 Lounge spec, or a high spec Smart. Something quirky, fun, but holds its value as best as possible - we lost hardly anything on the MINI in 3 years of ownership. She's a budget of between 10-13k. Answers on the back of a postcard!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Fuck budgets....

Mini JCW.

You know you want it....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a skoda superb.....because its the best car in the entire world and suits everybody :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

a skoda superb.....because its the best car in the entire world and suits everybody :rolleyes:
    actually its the second best

Octavia VRS anyone ??

Max Power1 wrote: »

Octavia VRS anyone ??

could you imagine a superb vrs with some kind of v6 diesel hybrid in it , boards would go offline with the amount of motors forum users logging on just to cyber jizz

NOW BACK ON TOPIC .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Fiat 500 Abarth!!!! "I am a Lamborghini, i pwomise i really am!!!" :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I think you'd be mad to go near a smart or even a Fiat 500.

The Cooper is such a different car in comparison to anything else in that price range.

Go Cooper - maybe not JCW but certainly One.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Mini JCW.

You know you want it....

Have ya never seen PaintDoctors car?! I dont think he is in need of another super mini!

What about the Suzuki Swift Sport? Or is that a step backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Have ya never seen PaintDoctors car?! I dont think he is in need of another super mini!

What about the Suzuki Swift Sport? Or is that a step backwards?

No, what is it?:confused:

Red Storm wrote: »
    Fiat 500 Abarth!!!! "I am a Lamborghini, i pwomise i really am!!!" :P

the single best comment ive seen on motors in a long time its like a hyundai coupe v6 "i swear im not a hairdresser car"

jock101 wrote: »
    No, what is it?:confused:

A very special Mini!

About 4 posts down

http://miniclub.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42237#p42237

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thanks Graham :)

Swift I'd completely forgotten about. Might look into that too, as long as it doesn't have the feltspec white roof and stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Quirky, fun & fast.
    What about a clio 197 that has already lost the guts of its original RRP
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Clio/3--197-S/200934194985882/advert?channel=CARS

Edit, the other half has a 1.4 swift and its been faultless over the last 3 years. I've heard the sport version is very high geared

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Max Power1 wrote: »

Octavia VRS anyone ??
    could you imagine a superb vrs with some kind of v6 diesel hybrid in it , boards would go offline with the amount of motors forum users logging on just to cyber jizz

NOW BACK ON TOPIC .....

OK then
    How about a Fabia vRS :D

She's not into the performance unfortunately, more the style/finish of the car more than anything. Otherwise I'd just tell her drive the JCW from day to day and I'd potter around in the 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

opel-tigra-twintop-4656.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Colt CZT

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Sorry, funky and fun you say, how about a figaro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ugh, not the Smart. If she's into style and finish a 75 should be more than enough!

My recommendation: MX-5. Has the looks, style and handles well. You'd enjoy it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,983 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Confab wrote: »
    If she's into style and finish a 75 should be more than enough!

He's an old man. She's not old and not a man :p

Sorry PD, couldn't resist :)

BTW you're going on a few times that the second series MINI is so much better than the first one - maybe you should buy one of those? Or prove you really love her and buy a car with substance, looks, heritage, style and all the rest. A 987 :)

You cheeky pup, 31 isn't old!!

Drove a Fiat 500 pop today. I liked the drive, but the interior was cheap and nasty, so that's right out :/

• Advertisement

You cheeky pup, 31 isn't old!!

Drove a Fiat 500 pop today. I liked the drive, but the interior was cheap and nasty, so that's right out :/

Have to say I always thought the 500's dash is really cool and funky, never sat in one though. It always looks great in pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I know its out of budget but how about a Citroen DS3.

Drove one and really liked it..........not many out there either

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I know its out of budget but how about a Citroen DS3.

Drove one and really liked it..........not many out there either

Those things will depreciate like a stone though, look great but seriously over priced IMO

what about a Corsa OPC? They look the business, lots of kit and they're reasonably priced nowadays

I see someone mentioned an MX-5 already, I cycle by a 07 red one on Manor St that's for sale every day, 12950, seems like great value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

If writing off the DS3 due to depreciation I'd bear it in mind if you consider an OPC.

AS for the MX-5.......BIG THUMBS UP, I love them:D

If age isn't an issue though how about a Porsche Boxster

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1316126

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

10 Corsa OPC for 20k looks cheap to me. Not a bad looking car either

johnos1984 wrote: »
    If writing off the DS3 due to depreciation I'd bear it in mind if you consider an OPC.

AS for the MX-5.......BIG THUMBS UP, I love them:D

If age isn't an issue though how about a Porsche Boxster

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1316126
    I meant a slightly older one, I seen Astra OPC's for about 11k recently, I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd get one for less than 10k, most of the depreciation is well gone.

Sorry lads, should have said she doesn't want another Cabrio, or something powerful. She got the cabrio bug out of her system and probably won't want one for a long time again.

Anyway, search is still on, but loving the suggestions :)

Well, we bought another MINI today. It's in Milton Keynes, so will be popping over next weekend to collect it. Nice car, low mileage, plenty of goodies, should keep her happy for a while anyway.

We test drove a fair share of cars. One that we liked would be the Volvo C30 1.6 Diesel, great car, but the prices are still quite high for the car you're getting. Another one was the new model Honda Civic with a Panoramic Roof, but getting one with the roof and the 1.4 engine was next to impossible. The C4 diesel was a good drive, but the interior felt very cheap and nasty - hard to believe it's the same company that makes the svelte C5! The Fiat 500 I thought was a fantastic drive, but she just didn't find the car appealing - no idea why, I was very impressed with the Lounge model.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Advertisement